Dashboard binnacle repairs

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Dashboard binnacle repairs

Post by CJH »

I've been tidying up my dashboard - I've fitted my PCB to replace the crumbling foil circuit board, and I'm working on adapting a diesel tachometer to work with a coil pulse from a petrol engine. So I've retrieved my original binnacle from the shed, because I will no longer need the knob in the middle of the right-hand window to adjust the clock. But my original binnacle has some issues - just like every other binnacle I've ever seen!

A couple of the corners are cracked/broken, and won't take a screw.

The mounting tabs on one side have both snapped off.

And on top of that, a couple of the screw holes in the corners of my speedo have broken.

To fix these various bits I've been making repair pieces using AutoCAD and my 3D printer.

First off - a repair piece for the broken binnacle corners. I made a piece that has an integral screw hole that can be glued to the outside of the binnacle.

To fit this I first needed to tidy up the broken corner. So I marked where I needed to cut away some broken plastic...

....then I Dremeled away the broken plastic...

...and finally I epoxied the repair piece in place...

Next up - a corner 'clamp' for the broken corners of the speedo. I designed it with an oval screw hole so that it would work on an unbroken binnacle corner and also on one where I've glued the above repair piece to the outside.

This part doesn't glue in place - it just screws down and clamps the speedo corners in place.

Finally, I made a repair piece for the binnacle mounting tabs. The mounting tabs are on a slight curve, so the repair piece is simply a clamp which stops the binnacle from moving in any direction. It should work no matter how much of the original tabs has snapped off. The original binnacle self-tappers aren't long enough to secure the clamp, so I've ordered some slightly longer ones. I've made the stepped section thick enough so that the screws can be done up nice and tight without putting any stress on the binnacle plastic.

So if you see someone at Busfest snapping up all the broken binnacles, that'll be me, looking to rescue them with my repair pieces!
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

Smcknighty
80-90 Mem No: 14436

Re: Dashboard binnacle repairs

Post by Smcknighty »

That’s brilliant! Any chance of making me a set of the ones for the mounting tabs?

I was looking at these, your solution looks much better.

https://campervanculture.com/shop/instr ... 3-vanagon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happy to pay or donate to charity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJH

Post by CJH »

Sure - I can run another set off. How does £5 for the pair sound, plus £1 postage? The other parts I could do at £1.50 each, but the tab clamps take MUCH longer to print - about 90 minutes each.

There's actually a couple more pieces I want to make. They're not needed for my binnacle, but if the binnacle corner near the mounting tab has broken, or the speedo frame on the same corner has snapped, then the full corner pieces won't fit because of the mounting tab frame.

CJH

Post by CJH »

CJH wrote:How does £5 for the pair sound, plus £1 postage?

That will include 4 of the longer self-tappers.

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Post by scottbott »

that looks great, well done you must be a clever bugger!!
Nil carborundum illegitimi

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

Brilliant, yes please, pm me your PayPal details maybe?

hightop ratty
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2717

Post by hightop ratty »

Smcknighty wrote:That’s brilliant! Any chance of making me a set of the ones for the mounting tabs?

I was looking at these, your solution looks much better.

https://campervanculture.com/shop/instr ... 3-vanagon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happy to pay or donate to charity

Brickwerks do a similar simple catch that holds the binnacle on the dash - simple but effective (Absolutely LOVE your version of solving the problem 1980's German plastic obviously didn't have the "lasting" factor built in ;-)

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/e ... it-t3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

I'm sure you will have seen these http://www.gowesty.com/product/bundles- ... repair-kit already - they'd be much easier to print. Actually no use to me. Corner is still there its the other part thats broken
Last edited by Sir Brixalot on 10 Jul 2018, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
Honorary "Dave" 

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

Mine wins for having deteriorated more - this is 1982 plastic :) I’d go for the corners as well except I’m afraid to disturb anything because surprisingly it all still works at the moment.

If you could print the whole thing it might be better :)

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Brilliant
when are you going to print some captains seal arm rest bolt covers :D
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

CJH

Post by CJH »

Sir Brixalot wrote:I'm sure you will have seen these http://www.gowesty.com/product/bundles- ... repair-kit already - they'd be much easier to print.

Actually I hadn't seen that. The little crescent shaped part would be marginally easier to print, but there isn't much in it actually - the vertical 'walls' on mine don't take long to print, and I think they help to locate the piece so that it doesn't lift or turn when you tighten the screw.

Sir Brixalot wrote:Actually no use to me. Corner is still there its the other part thats broken
You'll have to be more specific! That GoWesty kit has a part for the binnacle corner and a part for the gauges corner.

How about I finish off the parts for the last corner, then do a post showing all the different parts, and I'll try to give them sensible names so that you can specify exactly which piece(s) you need.

CJH

Post by CJH »

itchyfeet wrote:Brilliant

If you can do me a sketch with the necessary dimensions I'll be glad to have a go. Do you have a photo of an original part, and/or a photo of where it fits?

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

CJH wrote:
itchyfeet wrote:Brilliant

If you can do me a sketch with the necessary dimensions I'll be glad to have a go. Do you have a photo of an original part, and/or a photo of where it fits?

:ok
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=165237" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

CJH

Post by CJH »

Piece of cake. You can have any colour you like, as long as it's black or white. But I suppose you're going to want it in brown.

Is that 12.8mm internal diameter small enough to make it a nice tight fit over the bolt?

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

CJH wrote:
Sir Brixalot wrote:I'm sure you will have seen these http://www.gowesty.com/product/bundles- ... repair-kit already - they'd be much easier to print.

Actually I hadn't seen that. The little crescent shaped part would be marginally easier to print, but there isn't much in it actually - the vertical 'walls' on mine don't take long to print, and I think they help to locate the piece so that it doesn't lift or turn when you tighten the screw.

Sir Brixalot wrote:Actually no use to me. Corner is still there its the other part thats broken
You'll have to be more specific! That GoWesty kit has a part for the binnacle corner and a part for the gauges corner.

How about I finish off the parts for the last corner, then do a post showing all the different parts, and I'll try to give them sensible names so that you can specify exactly which piece(s) you need.

Scan reading as usual. I hadn't noticed that it had both. It's the right angled piece I need.
Honorary "Dave"