Alarm suggestions?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Alarm suggestions?

Post by ash1293 »

I've recently replaced the door locks and have a visual deterrant in THE way of a steering wheel lock but was just wondering what other measures I could realistically take to deter a potential theif.

Thought about pedal locks or wheel clamps but was wondering if there are any reasonably priced basic alarm systems out there that people would actually recommend? Don't need keyless entry, central locking, remote start etc - just good basic arm/disarm.
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Alarm suggestions?

Post by CovKid »

Easy. Interrupt the green low tension supply to the distributor with a hidden switch. Its rudimentary but works for me. If I ever park anywhere I'm not entirely happy with, mine is switched off. Its going nowhere other than on a recovery truck or low loader. Often the simplest solutions are more reliable. And perhaps stick a flashing LED on your dash to deter the vast majority peering in. Other than that, not discussing security in an open thread. Not sure anyone even takes notice of car alarms to be honest. I don't.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Post by ash1293 »

CovKid wrote: Other than that, not discussing security in an open thread.

You're quite right - :ok

I've a few ideas in mind and all will deter or slow down a potential thief so will explore these options before spending silly money on an over spec alarm with non relevant functions.
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

captain Byrne
80-90 Mem No: 7107

Post by captain Byrne »

Agree with hidden switch. Also a battery isolator switch and a clutch claw.
1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I had a funky alarm that shouted at passersby warning them to back off in no uncertain terms but it became a source of entertainment for the local kids - seeing how annoyed they could make it before it totally freaked out. The only time I found I could use it was in the middle of a field. :rofl
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.