Actuators

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Wesley
80-90 Mem No: 0

Actuators

Post by Wesley »

Hi,

Hope someone can point me in the right direction - I have had a alarm and immobiliser fitted to the van this week (£375) - not sure if this is good price or not? However I have had trouble with the central locking for sometime now , basically I have 2 actuators missing and the main door and side door also play up sometimes. Think I need 4 new ones , but are they all identical? Or a master one with 3 others? I have no clue.

All I know is I’m fed up with messing around making sure all doors are locked when I park it up!

Just like to know where to get them and a rough price please. The van is a t25 1.9 dg petrol - 1989. Want to make sure I get the correct ones.

Thanks
Wesley

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: Actuators

Post by R0B »

You can use T4 actuators.Brickwerks and others sell these.Brickwerks also sell the conversion looms needed.They are not handed.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

tonytech
80-90 Mem No: 477

Post by tonytech »

If you fancy taking the actuators apart and giving them a good dose of looking at I have some images that might help.
http://www.pbase.com/tonytech/central_locking_images
The driver and passenger door actuators are "masters" while the tailgate and sliding door are "slaves"
In the master units the tiny spring get corroded, but can be replaced with the spings from propelling pencils.

T
There are 10 kinds of people. those who understand Binary and those who dont

Wesley

Post by Wesley »

Many thanks for the tips and info. If I can get ones for a t25 I presume I wouldn’t need the conversion looms mentioned? Or is it better to use ones from a T4?

Tony - thanks for the info re taking them apart but 2 of them are completely missing so have to buy some anyway. I will look on Brickworks or VW heritage and see what I can find. Anyone know a rough price I would be looking at per actuator?

Thanks again
Wesley

T3luestar
80-90 Mem No: 13845

Post by T3luestar »

You'll get second hand T4 units on eBay a lot cheaper, then just buy the wiring modification needed.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Do a search for the prices fella.

Anyone know a rough price I would be looking at per actuator?
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

35i-VR6
80-90 Mem No: 16364

Post by 35i-VR6 »

I've used T4 actuators on my front doors,

I also bought the T4 front door loom's also so I didn't have to buy the conversion wiring from T3 to T4
http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-41980.htm
1990 White Atlantic Poptop 1.6TD JX

Wesley

Post by Wesley »

Thanks for all the help everyone. I have managed to source some second hand T3 ones from a guy in Germany - £150 for all 4 actuators. Soon as they arrive I’m going to fit them and hopefully end the annoying exercise of checking doors every time I leave the van!

Wesley

Post by Wesley »

Hi all,

Just an update on the actuators- they arrived from Germany and I fitted them today. They work great apart from I am missing a part on one which is annoying.

On the drivers passenger door the gold bracket that attaches to the door seems to fit with 3 rivets - these have been busted off. Plus the small bar with the hook at the end that attaches the door locking button to the actuator is missing!

I connected it all up and everything works fine mechanically - would anyone know where to get these really small but clearly important parts??

Thanks
Wesley