flashing temp gauge light

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

markmorcom
80-90 Mem No: 0

flashing temp gauge light

Post by markmorcom »

I have this niggling issue with my flashing light in the temp gauge, I have a 1.9 dg 1990, it started about a month ago from very occasionally to more often, the things that I have done;
changed level sensor in tank.
cleaned all terminals including all the earths I can find.
sent a fly wire from the level sensor to the fuse box and then to dash cluster to bypass the loom.
over wired the pcb so the gauge is separate from the pcb on all 3 terminals.
wired in a extra ground wire from crown to gauge/and multi plug.
checked the output of the voltage regulator 10.1 volt constant using the pcb ground and another ground location, fuel gauge is fine.
changed relay 42, cleaned all spades in fuse box relating to the relay, pulled the plug behind and cleaned.
pulled relay 42 and drove and it still flashes randomly, as suggested by a thread I read on here so that suggests its not related to the level sensor??
I changed the actual gauge today for another tried and tested one and its identical, so I can rule out gauge.

about a week ago my gauge started wandering to the hot position, even on ignition only (cold), now this is not very frequent and usually settles down, drove 450 last weekend and the needle acted strange for the first hour but the rest of the journey was fine, it isn't over heating, the matrix gets hot if I turn the heating on, radiator fan comes on as needed as it did before, I have no other electrical issues with any of the other equipment in the van.

next step is to change the temp sender and check the wiring associated with the sender, but any other info suggestions will be most welcome. thanks

Mark

crazyhorse
80-90 Mem No: 15202

Re: flashing temp gauge light

Post by crazyhorse »

Before you change the temp sender, pull the connection out and test it with a paperclip, jump the the 2 connectors. Turn the ignition on, if it flashes and the gauge goes up to the top then you know its the sensor. Did this myself a few months ago. My sensor had rusted in place and coolant went all over me. Bugger of a job esp covered in antifreeze
87 Transporter 1.9 WBX DG and LPG. In Maroon

http://www.guestwho.biz

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

If the gauge sometimes goes full scale and the engine is not overheating then it sounds like the problem is with the temp sender or associated wiring. The coolant LED will flash if the gauge goes to the overheating position and stops when the gauge returns to a normal range of engine temps. In the event of coolant loss, once the LED is triggered it remains triggered untill the ignition is switched off and the coolant level is restored to the correct minimum level.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

captain Byrne
80-90 Mem No: 7107

Post by captain Byrne »

Check & clean pcb ribbon where it connects to the multiplug. Check for any damage or wear in ribbon.
1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.

markmorcom

Post by markmorcom »

Thanks everyone, got a new sender now so changing that and checking continuity and resistance of wiring that’s all I think I have got left to try, I’m ignoring it atm and that’s not great for future problems, I’ve totally iscolated the gauge from the pcb so I know it’s not that, will keep you posted for future info for anyone else.

markmorcom

Post by markmorcom »

To finish this thread, all fixed!! Didn’t actually change the sender, found a small nick/wear in the yellow/red wire near the sender plug, I replaced the tails off the plug with some double insulated wire and spliced it into the loom again and it’s solved the flashing light issue and the needle is now behaving, great feeling to get it fixed! Cheers everyone