zig unit on site button over voltage

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

crickard33
80-90 Mem No: 0

zig unit on site button over voltage

Post by crickard33 »

Hi , I have been looking for an answer to my problem, when on site hookup when I select the on site button, I get an overvoltage which sets my propex heater and water heater into error mode ie red flashing light.

I believe this is because a diode is faulty in the zig unit , and the voltage is over 15.5v so as the battery is fully charged the zig unit should stop trying to charge the leisure battery, but it doesn't .
If the 240v is off all is fine or if the leisure battery is low in voltage its ok.

Simply is it easy to replace the diode and what type and rating, I am happy to solder the old one out etc

That's if I have got this right.

Many thanks for any help

Chris

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Re: zig unit on site button over voltage

Post by 937carrera »

How are you measuring the voltage & what model Zig do you have ?

When I fitted a s/h Zig charger to my Autosleeper I tested it with no load and is was giving over 15V with a multimeter. Fearing it was damaged I ended up taking mine apart and discovered that there's just the transformer, capacitor and a standard / common bridge rectifier inside. When attached to the van it's providing around 14.2-14.4 v, measured across the leisure battery.

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=161757
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

crickard33

Post by crickard33 »

Its a cf8, my multi meter is broken, so I need to pick a new one up, I think I measured the 12v running to the water heater and it came in at 15.8 v when it was working and with 240v switch on and on site switch in that position, it all read the correct voltage on both battery's when the 240v switch is off or the on site switch is set to touring, if I remember it all correctly.
I know both the propex heater and water heater show the same error code of overvoltage, when set to on site with the 240v switch on.

Its been like this for a while, and it all works if we run of the starter battery , or turn of the 240v on the zig and run from the leisure battery, but I mentioned it to a friend recently and he said about the diode thing,that's why I posted today its one of those things I have been meaning to sort out, I will get a new multimeter and check the leisure battery voltage etc , and take a look at the zig as well and the get back .

Thankyou for your help.

Chris

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Assuming your friend is an electronics engineer mention the bridge rectifier (4 or more diodes in a single component) to him, he should be able to recognise if that could be the problem. I was considering replacing mine and when I went to look it was a common component and only about £4.

In the end I left mine out of the van and rigged up a system to test the charger and monitor voltage as a battery charged without installing in the van. Seemed OK, if a little higher than I would have expected and has been fine when installed.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

crickard33

Post by crickard33 »

Many thanks , been reading up about diodes and when they fail they are open circuits, so one has failed at least, i will get a multi meter, then take the zig apart and check.

obviously the failed diode is allowing a current through even when the battery is fully charged , so i guess that is where the over current is coming from which then makes the propex heater and water heater go into error mode to prevent damage.

hopefully i can work out which diode and what its rating is and replace or replace the whole bridge rectifier.#

Many thanks again for your help it all seems to make sense now.

chris