Battery Isolator Switch

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

gutmeg
80-90 Mem No: 6992

Battery Isolator Switch

Post by gutmeg »

Hi There all, and best wishes to you all.
I am thinking of purchasing a battery isolator switch, and have gone on the usual places to find out about, however there appears to be many different types and it would appear quality issues.
Has anyone fitted one of these and can you vouch if they are suitable for our vehicles and where would you install as they seem quite tall, and bulky. Any help/ guidance would be appreciated, all views would be appreciated whether good or bad. I have a T25 petrol Holdsworth conversion villa 3.
Many Thanks & Regards
LLoyd
Mnay Thnaks

Jeff J
80-90 Mem No: 13853

Re: Battery Isolator Switch

Post by Jeff J »

Fitted mine under the drivers seat near to the battery on the seat box. It was not an expensive one & I've not had any problems with it. Fitted mine in the neutral rather than the positive side of the battery as access was easier. I fitted it inside the box so that it is not easily seen, but you have to push the seat forward to access it.

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

What are you trying to do, isolate a battery to prevent discharge, to prevent theft or to cut off the engine when running.

Various types available here

https://www.jjcraceandrally.com/race/ba ... f-switches

The quality one is the Autolec product which has the additional contacts to prevent the engine running on by cutting the feed to the coil. Of course, this functionality is there in race cars in case the driver is not able to turn the ignition off, so perhaps unnecessary for your purposes. The big red key is removable so a decent theft prevention if you want to store the key elsewhere. I have one fitted to my truck to prevent the batteries draining when it's parked up for long periods. I got fed up of having to replace two very big truck batteries because of tachograph drain.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

meggles

Post by meggles »

I have one in both my T4 and T25. Mine is there as any anti theft device so I'm not saying where it is. I bought mine online. I believe Disco Dave on here may sell them, worth contacting him.

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Really desirable to have a isolating switch. Mine is under the drivers seat and is in the battery negative terminal to chassis path. We had a club 80-90 day many years ago and fitted about a dozen or so to club members vans. We removed the existing earth strap and tucked it out of the way. A new lenghth of insulated black battery cable was then connected from the battery negative to the isolating switch. The other terminal of the isolating switch was connected close to the isolating switch via a nut, washer and bolt. Just make sure you remove all paint and the connection is made against bare metal.

We soldered the new terminals using a hand held gas torch as well as usng the small securing bolts. I have pictures f the installaton if it helps.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

LeeME3
80-90 Mem No: 11225

Post by LeeME3 »

So far I've bought 3 of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Car-Battery-Is ... B003DYQYXC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(2 in the boat one in the van). Not had any problems yet and all 3 get a fair bit of use.
1986 1.9DG WBX LPG, 4 spd manual. Westy poptop. Renogy lithium leisure. 175W solar. CR50 fridge. Propex. RX8 seats.

gutmeg

Post by gutmeg »

Hi Guys
Many Thanks for the replies & assistance, I wanted to fit as a theft deterant, so understand that people do not want to say where they have fitted the isolator in their Bus.
I understand that these have a limit on protection but is better than not having anything I guess.
Hi Angelo if you have pics that would be great if you could send by PM or back on here.
Many Thanks again and wish you all the best.
Regards
LLoyd

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Imageside2ndwp by Angelo Evans, on Flickr
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

captain Byrne
80-90 Mem No: 7107

Post by captain Byrne »

Is an early swivel seat different? Pretty sure I can't get under there.
1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.

gutmeg

Post by gutmeg »

Hi Angelo
Looks a tidy install, I like the look of it,will see if can do similar.
Many Thanks for the pic
LLoyd

captain Byrne

Post by captain Byrne »

Does anyone know if you can access under the under seat area if you have swivel base captain seats?

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Not without removing the base.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

captain Byrne

Post by captain Byrne »

Cheers Rob. Is the base just bolted on?
E D I T. Ok, just checked & it's welded on. So, next question. Has anyone fitted a isolator switch under the seat of a van with swivel seats without removing the base?