Speedo Bounce

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Speedo Bounce

Post by itchyfeet »

Took it for a 15 mile drive and no vibration ( binicle cover off feel the cable while driving ) or noise, quietly confident of both vans now but I have been here before so it's a waiting game now to see if it returns.

Still a slight vibration of the needle on the old pop top cable ( now on tin top) can't call it bounce as it's so slight maybe 1/2 a needle width, yeh I know getting pickey now but the other cable is perfect so it's possible.

It was right there in the third comment, really must listen to Ralph more often :ok

CovKid wrote:A hell of a lot of grease seems to help

Right who is going to pump grease into their bouncy gemo cable from both ends ?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I used to have to do it on bugs with CV grease rather than high-melting point as it seemed to work better. Consider how many friction points can develop along its length where its dry. Thats what causes the judder. Unfortunately with an older cable that has lacked lubricant for a long time, the outer cable gets worn by the inner, potentially making judder even worse. Cable operated speedos aren't the best and due to the constructions there needs to be a degree of preload on the inner cable before the needle will read properly anyway. It does have a certain amount of 'give. The whole setup isn't particularly accurate either.

The best way to do it is with a sensor rather than a cable but it seems a lot of effort to go to for relatively little gain - in the scale of things. Its one of those projects that has crossed my mind over 35 years but seems hardly worth the expense. If its well greased and you can gauge the true speed against GPS, you're at least OK with speed cameras. Good enough I'd say.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

A quick update 1 year on and my original VW cables that I fixed and grease are still bounce free.

Simon at Brickwerks has chased Gemo for answers, it seems they have read this thread now and I'm told they are going to investigate :ok
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks