Fuel gauge not working properly

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

stupedals
80-90 Mem No: 0

Fuel gauge not working properly

Post by stupedals »

Hi all, hoping for some help.

My fuel gauge works until about 2/3 of a tank then the needle drops out of view. I've read a few posts about this but all seem to not work at all.
Temp gauge works though the blinking led does not. Indicator led works but does come on ever so slightly when the ignition is on - short circuit? Speedo and battery light work fine.

Any advice welcome!

Cheers in advance

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: Fuel gauge not working properly

Post by bigherb »

Usually, it is the resistor track on the tank sender has a worn out, the sender needs to be replaced.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Temp gauge LED, check the small middle securing nut of the temp gauge is tight and also check, using a multimeter, that the nut connects to a known good earth/chassis point. Use a long piece of wire if your meter leads are not long enough.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

stupedals
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by stupedals »

Cheers,

will give that a try.

Haven't long had the van and a few electrical bits don't work. Blower fan and possibly rad fan don't work either.

Muchos gracias

captain Byrne
80-90 Mem No: 7107

Post by captain Byrne »

stupedals wrote:Hi all, hoping for some help.

My fuel gauge works until about 2/3 of a tank then the needle drops out of view. I've read a few posts about this but all seem to not work at all.
Temp gauge works though the blinking led does not. Indicator led works but does come on ever so slightly when the ignition is on - short circuit?

You can clean the resistor track on the tank sender if it looks in decent nick, but probably just buy a new one.
I had a similar problem with the Indicator led being on ever so slightly when the ignition is on. Replaced the indicator relay & it fixed it.
I'd sort out the rad fan switch (or fan) as soon as poss.
1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.

mgbman
80-90 Mem No: 10891

Post by mgbman »

My son's air cooled Fuel Gauge has stopped working, now reads empty all the time even when plenty of fuel in the tank.

Last year a new tank, new sender unit and all hoses and breathers replaced.

Fuel gauge worked correctly for a year and now not working.

2 weeks ago the gauge read low so my son filled up, but brimmed it and fuel poured out below the tank.

Advice please as to best way forward on correcting this.

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

mgbman wrote:My son's air cooled Fuel Gauge has stopped working, now reads empty all the time even when plenty of fuel in the tank.
To check the gauge, earth the sender wire the gauge should rise to full (with ignition switched on), the easiest place to access is the four pin plug above the fuse box earth the purple/black wire.
Gauge doesn't rise recheck at the plug on the instruments then check voltage to the gauge 10V +- 0.5V
If gauge rises then check the sender, disconnect the plug and check the resistance to earth on the side of the plug that the wire goes through the bulkhead, depending on how much fuel around 50-300 ohms.

The tank shouldn't leak when full unless the expansion tanks have been removed. You'll need to check the pipework and grommets on the top of the tank.

1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

mgbman
80-90 Mem No: 10891

Post by mgbman »

thank you bigherb, a new tank and all pipework and a new sender were fitted last year. along with 'new' balancing tanks and breather hoses. all working fine for a few months, then the fuel gauge started playing up and now not working at all, just sits at the bottom.

at the moment, my son just keeps a record of miles and assuming 13 gallon tank and 20 mpg consumption. So about 260 miles on a full tank.

the fuel spillage is a concern and although no fuel smells now, the new filler pipe through the new tank grommet looks a bit damp.

no fuel smells around the balancing tanks or their overflow pipes.

I would like to have a look at the grommets and pipes on top of the tank and presumably I could take off the large warm air trunk and take some camera pics through the round hole.