Hazard lights not operating correctly

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ali_mac
80-90 Mem No: 0

Hazard lights not operating correctly

Post by ali_mac »

Hi All,

My issue is that, in order to activate the hazards on my van, you switch the hazard switch on, and then indicate right, it'll only flash on the right otherwise. This method has worked every time I've needed them, which admittedly does seem to be rather often...
It never occurred to me until recently that this is most likely the incorrect way of doing it and you should only have to use the hazard switch on the dash. Failed it's MOT on this issue.

I'll check those earth crowns out and give them a clean up, but does anyone else have any ideas as to where to start?

Thanks for reading.
1.9 DG 1986

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Hazard lights not operating correctly

Post by Mocki »

its most likley the hazzard switch at fault .....
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

ali_mac

Post by ali_mac »

Mocki wrote:its most likley the hazzard switch at fault .....

Thanks Mocki, will have a look.
1.9 DG 1986

Born Too Late
80-90 Mem No: 14236

Post by Born Too Late »

My hazards were playing up something rotten - I was all set to get a new switch anyway so thought I might as well take the old one apart first. The contacts were covered in oil or grease but after a good clean up they work perfectly now.

If you take it apart be careful as there's a tiny spring in there. And there's 2 types of switch too, if you're looking at replacements. One has more connectors on the back
Ziggy Starbus-1988 Autosleeper high top 2.1 injection
Lola-1977 Triumph Spitfire

ali_mac

Post by ali_mac »

So I took the switch apart (apparently from c1985 onwards the switch was changed, so it may be different for earlier models). I noticed that one of the springs was missing for one of them. I should have photos but it's not a difficult job. Cleaned off the the grease and found a spare spring from my toolbox and bob's yer uncle, a working hazard switch. The spring is a very small one, around the same size as the one you'd find in a spring-loaded ball-point pen.
Cheers guys :ok
1.9 DG 1986