osram nightbreakers

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

osram nightbreakers

Post by Sir Brixalot »

I go through 2-3 ignition switches a year. I've fitted a hard start hoping to prolong their lifespan. It crossed my mind that the ignition switches often fail when I've been using the headlights so I was wondering whether the stock wiring is insufficient for Osram Nightbreakers?
Honorary "Dave" 

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: osram nightbreakers

Post by CovKid »

The main reason people fit nightbreakers (whether they realise or not) is because the headlight reflectors are so damned awful. Brighter bulbs compensate (sort of). I have stock bulbs in my headlights and they beat nightbreakers in stock headlights but my reflectors are better designed.

It sounds as though you haven't retro-fitted any headlight relays. These take the load off existing dash wiring.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

crazyhorse
80-90 Mem No: 15202

Post by crazyhorse »

I did this until I upgrade the dash wire as per Mr Covkids wiki entry.

http://www.paddockspares.com/boomslang- ... -loom.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Highly recommened, bought some Nighbreakers, now I can see at night,
87 Transporter 1.9 WBX DG and LPG. In Maroon

http://www.guestwho.biz

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

I should do a write-up or video really but I spent months testing a box full of headlight bulbs (including LED ones) to try and solve the poor lighting but it became clear that the bulbs were barely part of the issue. In the end it came down to:

1 ) Old main cables either frayed, or insufficient resulting in a substantial voltage drop (10 volts at headlights not untypical)
2) Hella headlights are akin to a 1960s torch reflector (there are better units around these days unless your lights are square)
3) No headlight relays (essential mod I'd say)

Once I did the above, I could run with even basic halogen bulbs and still light up the road for miles on full. Nightbreakers no longer needed :) - which lets face it, aren't cheap.... Plus the fact you then have to buy ANOTHER pair of Nighbreakers should one go. Not great really.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Yep square lights. Typically of me I've got the relay kit, looks identical to that Boomslang but haven't got round to fitting them. Will get on to it. Not clear on whether the Nighbreakers would cause overload to ignition switch. Been looking at the dash upgrade but where as I'm happy to get stuck into basic mechanical side I've got a bit of a fear of messing with electrics.
Honorary "Dave" 

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Sir Brixalot wrote:Yep square lights. Typically of me I've got the relay kit, looks identical to that Boomslang but haven't got round to fitting them. Will get on to it. Not clear on whether the Nighbreakers would cause overload to ignition switch. Been looking at the dash upgrade but where as I'm happy to get stuck into basic mechanical side I've got a bit of a fear of messing with electrics.
To answer your question No, Nightbreakers don't use any more power than the standard bulb.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

crazyhorse
80-90 Mem No: 15202

Post by crazyhorse »

Sir Brixalot wrote:Yep square lights. Typically of me I've got the relay kit, looks identical to that Boomslang but haven't got round to fitting them. Will get on to it. Not clear on whether the Nighbreakers would cause overload to ignition switch. Been looking at the dash upgrade but where as I'm happy to get stuck into basic mechanical side I've got a bit of a fear of messing with electrics.

Im with you on that one. Fitted the Boomslang kit.

For the poer cable upgrade... Can follow the wiki battery side of things, but not sure what to do when I get to the fusebox. CovKid... any chance of some pointers if your not to busy :D
87 Transporter 1.9 WBX DG and LPG. In Maroon

http://www.guestwho.biz

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Sir Brixalot wrote:I go through 2-3 ignition switches a year. I've fitted a hard start hoping to prolong their lifespan. It crossed my mind that the ignition switches often fail when I've been using the headlights so I was wondering whether the stock wiring is insufficient for Osram Nightbreakers?

Have you made sure that the "Terminal X" relief relay is working correctly ?
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Wipers stop when starting so X relay is working
Last edited by Sir Brixalot on 23 May 2018, 17:11, edited 3 times in total.
Honorary "Dave" 

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Finish up at dash with same terminal block I describe in WIKI - connect an extra 6-way fusebox to it and move all the heavy stuff like lights, fan etc to this new fusebox, one at a time. That will leave the old fusebox handling all the light stuff - the existing supply will be more than enough. Earths don't change although for lights its better to drill and ground properly at front behind headlight grill.

Can follow the wiki battery side of things, but not sure what to do when I get to the fusebox. CovKid... any chance of some pointers if your not to busy :D

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Looked at my relay kit. There's only one male 3 pin plug so I think that means I only need to connect it on one original female plug. Does it matter which of the original plugs I don't use. Also for the live feed should I run a new wire back to the battery or intercept the original feed nearer the lights?
Honorary "Dave" 

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

New feed from battery. Make sure its chunky :D

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

In answer to your original question: Nightbreakers are the same wattage as normal bulbs and use the same amount of power so aren't responsible. However, the later 4 lamp setup does draw nearly 20 amps on full beam, so double that of a standard round headlamp setup. Relays and new wiring will be your saviour!

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Thanks gents. I'll run a new cable from a battery direct to relay. More spoonfeeding please- what gauge do I need.
Honorary "Dave" 

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

6mm will be adequate.