Aftermarket fusebox with LED light for blown fuse

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Aftermarket fusebox with LED light for blown fuse

Post by mshaw1980 »

Hello

Just need to check something with the above fusebox I have fitted to run the leisure battery circuit. To me it's odd but when the fuse blows the circuit still works albeit at a reduced voltage. For example, the led lights were on and I accidentally shorted the terminals on the switch which blew the fuse identified by the illuminated light on the fusebox however the lights still worked but noticeably dimmer. Is this normal with these fuseboxes or do I have an earth leak?
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Aftermarket fusebox with LED light for blown fuse

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I will hazard a guess - you need an earth to get the fuse led to light which it gets from earthing via the rest of the circuit ( your led lights). Normally the led will not light as the voltage is the same either side of it.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

tonytech
80-90 Mem No: 477

Post by tonytech »

I think the led on the fusebox is just wired accross the fuse with a suitable resistor in series.
Fuse OK ... current flows through the fuse to the circuit as normal.
Fuse blown .. current flows through the led and resistor to the circuit... The resistor limits the current to a few mA so no overheating or burning wires.
If, as in your case, the circuit only needs a few mA to power it the "blown fuse indicator" will pass enough current to light your lights.

T
There are 10 kinds of people. those who understand Binary and those who dont

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Post by mshaw1980 »

Thanks guys :ok
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)