I need a chicken switch

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: I need a chicken switch

Post by CovKid »

Just bear in mind, the fan is pulling a fair few amps when its on flat out speed which is why you need a switch that can handle it. For headroom, 20 amps would seem reasonable although mine is only 10 amps and its lasted 5-6 years so perhaps the maximum rating of the switch is actually much higher than marked.

The alternative would be a heavy duty toggle switch or a relay attached to a lesser switch but that then makes it far more complicated than it need be. Much as I like relays, they do introduce an additional failure point that wasn't there before. Keep it simple I say. It is after all, an emergency switch.

As always though, if you do overheat, check your water levels. If you're boiling dry, the switch won't help. :D

Have I ever used mine? Yep. :wink:

By the way, this is a really funky switch akin to that found on aircraft - 20amp too. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-20A-C ... Sw3UZa2Zi6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

Thanks Cov Kid.

All useful and noted :-)

Em
x
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

ermie571

Post by ermie571 »

crazyhorse wrote:Im going to jump in on this also. I was stuck in traffic on a hill the other day. Needle was climbing up, got so paranoid that I put the heater on hot and switched the blower on. The fan did come on the first stage but just to be sure. I was sweating buckets but the needle went down so this will be good to do. Ordered a 30amp switch and 5m of 2.5 single core wire. Have the connectors. Will have to wait till the switch comes from China.

Sounds easy as I was over complicating things.

Cut the Red/White ( power) wire and and re join with the wago 222. New wire to Switch.
Cut the red/blue wire and do the same.

I have ordered a Switch with a light, so that has an earth connection so presumambly I need to run a earth wire from the new switch to a suitable place.

If I do all the above, I should be able to hit the button, then the high speed fan will come on with a red light to tell me that I have done so. Hit the switch off, fan stops and light goes off. What could possibly go wrong.

ermie571 please let me know how you get on

Wilko. the cool funcky looking connectors from WAGO arrived today, and I will sort switch and cable too.

I'm going in....wish me luck! The van is quiverring at the sight of me approaching with wire cutters.... :rofl Do they feel pain??!!

Em
x

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

They don't if you cough very loudly when you make the snip.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

Oh, I think they do, they do :'(

===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

That was a bit drastic just to retrieve that 5p piece that you dropped in there!
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

crazyhorse
80-90 Mem No: 15202

Post by crazyhorse »

ermie571 wrote:
crazyhorse wrote:Im going to jump in on this also. I was stuck in traffic on a hill the other day. Needle was climbing up, got so paranoid that I put the heater on hot and switched the blower on. The fan did come on the first stage but just to be sure. I was sweating buckets but the needle went down so this will be good to do. Ordered a 30amp switch and 5m of 2.5 single core wire. Have the connectors. Will have to wait till the switch comes from China.

Sounds easy as I was over complicating things.

Cut the Red/White ( power) wire and and re join with the wago 222. New wire to Switch.
Cut the red/blue wire and do the same.

I have ordered a Switch with a light, so that has an earth connection so presumambly I need to run a earth wire from the new switch to a suitable place.

If I do all the above, I should be able to hit the button, then the high speed fan will come on with a red light to tell me that I have done so. Hit the switch off, fan stops and light goes off. What could possibly go wrong.

ermie571 please let me know how you get on

Wilko. the cool funcky looking connectors from WAGO arrived today, and I will sort switch and cable too.

I'm going in....wish me luck! The van is quiverring at the sight of me approaching with wire cutters.... :rofl Do they feel pain??!!

Em
x

May the force of the snippers be with you
87 Transporter 1.9 WBX DG and LPG. In Maroon

http://www.guestwho.biz

izzybarnard
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by izzybarnard »

Anyone fancy do'in a Fag Packet drawing using wago 222 connectors and switch etc just to be belt and braces before I get my snips out.
Drawings always speak louder than words to me xx

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
1987 Hightop with Subaru EJ25 Conversion

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

izzybarnard wrote:Anyone fancy do'in a Fag Packet drawing using wago 222 connectors and switch etc just to be belt and braces before I get my snips out.
Drawings always speak louder than words to me xx

Sorry I do this stuff every day and I forget it's not obvious to everybody
Here is a guide for a late van RHD 2 speed fan.....

You are adding a switch here between red/white and red/blue this essentially does the same job as the 102 deg C switch ( stage 2) in F18 which is your rad temp switch.

As you can see it only triggers a relay but best to use a 30A switch to make sure it's a good one,.
The circuit has a 30A fuse so if any of the wiring was to short there the wires at 1.5mm2 and 30A switch can handle it and blow the fuse before melting.
you also need 30A connectors which is why I reccomend Wago 222, pretty much idiot proof.

Imagechicken switch wiring diagram by Paul_Barr, on Flickr

drop down glovebox by bending tabs

ImageP1100280 by Paul_Barr, on Flickr

remove fusebox screw and lift fuse box off pegs

ImageP1100281 by Paul_Barr, on Flickr

Imagechicken switch fusebox by Paul_Barr, on Flickr

locate red/white and red blue wires, cut them strip then and rejoin with wago 222 connectors, then add 1.5mm2 switch wires to a 30A switch located in a suitable position.

ImageChicken switch by Paul_Barr, on Flickr

ImageP1100279 by Paul_Barr, on Flickr
Last edited by itchyfeet on 09 May 2018, 19:28, edited 2 times in total.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

izzybarnard
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by izzybarnard »

Itchyfeet
Thats bloody marvellous.

Cheers cheers

1987 Hightop with Subaru EJ25 Conversion

crazyhorse
80-90 Mem No: 15202

Post by crazyhorse »

Great stuff. Thanks for the detailed info
87 Transporter 1.9 WBX DG and LPG. In Maroon

http://www.guestwho.biz

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

If you use the switch to operate the relay already fitted for high speed fan (above earth crowns if you look up), you only need a 1 amp switch as relay coil current draw is well under 250 mA ;)

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

CovKid wrote:If you use the switch to operate the relay already fitted for high speed fan (above earth crowns if you look up), you only need a 1 amp switch as relay coil current draw is well under 250 mA ;)

Good practice to have the wiring capable of taking the fuse rating, if not a high current short to ground makes a fire before the fuse blows.
In the late van thats a 30A fuse or you have to add another inline fuse.

Persoanlly I prefer chunky switches and wiring far more robust.

Here is a guide for a late van RHD 2 speed fan.....

You are adding a switch here between red/white and red/blue this essentially does the same job as the 102 deg C switch ( stage 2) in F18 which is your rad temp switch.

As you can see it only triggers a relay but best to use a 30A switch to make sure it's a good one,.
The circuit has a 30A fuse so if any of the wiring was to short there the wires at 1.5mm2 and 30A switch can handle it and blow the fuse before melting.
you also need 30A connectors which is why I reccomend Wago 222, pretty much idiot proof.

1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Would agree on power side. On switch side, not needed. 8 amp would be fine for that circuit - if done that way. There are a few ways to wire a chicken switch though.

ermie571

Post by ermie571 »

Ive got the early fuse box in one, and the late in the other two...

By the third one I should have the hang of it!!

:ok