Mains Charger

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mark S
80-90 Mem No: 1230

Mains Charger

Post by Mark S »

Under the bench seat/R&R bed are pairs of wires to connect to the various batteries from the BBB etc. From what I can work out a red/black conductor leads to the leisure battery via the split-charge relay while a red/yellow wire connects to the engine battery to charge it too.

I have proven connectivity on the red/bl (leisure feed) but there is no Voltage on the red/yw (engine) despite the latter being in good order and everything on the non-camping side working.

Can anyone tell me how the red/yw wire connects to the engine battery and are there any connector blocks or fuses in line to check?

Cheers.
1987 Westy Joker

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Re: Mains Charger

Post by 937carrera »

A quick google turned up this

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/westf ... 20766.html

Not sure of the locations though and i don't have a Westie
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Mark S
80-90 Mem No: 1230

Re: Mains Charger

Post by Mark S »

Yes, that is useful. I have actually got that diagram in hard copy in my glovebox but one needs to go to Specsavers to read it, so the blown-up version is most helpful.

I did question the accuracy of it on first inspection because it shows the red/yellow (rt/ge) going straight from the BBB to the leisure batt while the red/black (rt/sw) just goes to the other side of the split-charge relay, which seems illogical.

However, if it is the case that the split-charge relay has two 87 terminals rather than an 87 and an 87a, this would mean that the red/black is the one that is actually connected to the engine battery permanently and the relay site is just the mechanism to make that permanent connection without the relay actually being involved in this circuit at all.

Given that my split-charge relay is out (fried) that is probably why there is no connection to the engine battery presently. Although I've got my pairs of wires the wrong way round, that would in fact explain it.

Many thanks.
1987 Westy Joker