intermittent starter problems

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

markysparky71
80-90 Mem No: 0

intermittent starter problems

Post by markysparky71 »

I have an 81 Westfalia 19 aaz engine

The problem!........ periodically usually at the most inconvenient time I turn ignition on as normal, all lights on go to turn starter motor and absolutely nothing!
What I have done cleaned the trigger wire connector up, seemed to work and then problem reappeared. Then had slow cranking problem. Drain test on battery, came back week so put a brand new battery on fully charged first start and absolutely nothing on the key! removed the starter motor which was about 6 year old cleaned the terminals and noticed the braided cable from the solonoid to the starter looked shot. Replaced starter and solenoid with a new unit. Everything seemed fine this was about 4 weeks.
Yesterday loaded the bike rack up got the kids in, went to start van absolutely nothing, not wanting to remove the bikes I just bumped the van and said a prayer. Van started fine to my relief on our return journey.
Got in this morning and absolutely nothing. Checked battery voltage 12.75 had my daughter turn the key while I checked voltage on trigger wire best I got was 8 volt? Is this the problem, where do I go from here I was thinking ignition switch possibly
Any advice welcome as hate driving the van with nagging doubt
1981 westfalia 19 td aaz

markysparky71

Re: intermittent starter problems

Post by markysparky71 »

Well pulled wiring block off the back of the ignition switch. Theres a thick red wire with 12.75 volts off it. thick red and black wire no volts, presumed this is the switched live i put a wire between the two wires and starter ran and engine started. Hopefully it is the switch, Ive just ordered a new one
1981 westfalia 19 td aaz

markysparky71

Post by markysparky71 »

Fitted new ignition switch started first time parked up changed the oil and filters. Went to start it NOTHING AGAIN!!!
checked the trigger wire when it should have been cranking over and theres only 8 volts on that cable. What do I need to do to sort this out? just pulled the steering column plastic off trying to see where the start live from the ignition switch goes to. I have an early fuse board with 3 relays on it. does the trigger wire go straight from the ignition switch to the starter solanoid ?
Need the van ready for this weekend
1981 westfalia 19 td aaz

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

markysparky71 wrote: does the trigger wire go straight from the ignition switch to the starter solanoid ?
Need the van ready for this weekend

No the red/black wire goes through a connector above the fuse box.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

After 30 years, age and moisture can play havoc with wiring - mostly connection points - in the same way that time has diminished my knees. I wrote an extensive piece in the WIKI about renewing main cables, but equally it can effect wires to and from the fusebox and anywhere under the dash. A poor connection at battery can also cause similar problems.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Been meaning to do atarter cables for last couple of years. If you come across a link for decent quality cable could you pop it up on here?
Honorary "Dave" 

markysparky71

Post by markysparky71 »

Cheers Ive sorted the van problem, well kind of.
Looked through the wiki and there was an article fitting a relay before the starter I couldnt open the images for some reason so searched youtube and found something similar. As my trigger wire is only getting 8 volts to the solonoid run a relay with a battery feed and is starts first time on the button!
When i have some spare time I will look at the wiring behind the dash! it looks daunting so just putting it off
1981 westfalia 19 td aaz

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Good motor factors stock the cable you need. They usually just describe it as 'battery cable'.

You've probably read it but for those who haven't: http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/VW ... ain_cables" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sir Brixalot wrote:Been meaning to do atarter cables for last couple of years. If you come across a link for decent quality cable could you pop it up on here?
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

cheers mate. Had a random no start again the other day but hotwired it to start and it started fine since. Got to get this sorted if only to rule it out
Last edited by Sir Brixalot on 08 May 2018, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
Honorary "Dave" 

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

http://www.oxfordweldingsuppliesltd.co. ... -per-metre

Is this OK? THey also have 35mm for a fiver per metre

Also ordered hard start relay
Honorary "Dave" 

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

35 would be like the stuff they run along the bottom of the ocean :)

16 is fine - long as its fine strand. Looks as though it is to me. Get the end lugs from Toolstation - best deal I found.