Square Headlight Bulb change

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

nesty
80-90 Mem No: 4023

Square Headlight Bulb change

Post by nesty »

I know this is a real stupid question!
I installed square headlights in 2007. My first headlight bulb (nearside main square), since then, has blown.
My MOT is coming up fairly soon. I don't want to start messing about with the adjustment levels accidentally.
I can't remember, what I have to do to change the bulb. Do I have to take out both lights (big square and smaller square) on the mounting, or can I remove just the main square one?

Additionally, back then I installed Osram night breaker bulbs, when fitted the square headlights. I can't remember, which type they were. So I am guessing as there many different makes now? Would I have to replace both makes equally? I have yellow Lamix on my headlights, IE ultra white etc probably, might not make that much difference to tint?
Holdsworth Villa2 1983 1.9 DG, 4 Speed, LPG & Petrol+underslung leisure tank

chris7ian
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Square Headlight Bulb change

Post by chris7ian »

Pop-off the grille by turning the 5 mounting screws, then you'll have to remove the 4 screws in the corners of the frame holding BOTH lamps to the body.
Flop the lamp forward without dropping and carefully, remove the wiring plug, then the rubber boot and unclip the metal spring holding the bulb in place.
Replace and reverse the sequence to refit - you shouldn't need to adjust headlamp aim if the frame was properly seated when you began is still properly seated after refitting.

Generally speaking, bulbs are replaced in pairs so they match and you're not forever changing 'the other one' when in goes but that's up to you. Since you have yellow laminex the colour will match pretty closely anyway

Should take you about 5 minutes :)
1989 2.1 MV Auto

nesty

Post by nesty »

Super cheers many thanks for this. I will replace both, as the off side one probably has limited life left.
They are H4 472 aren't they?
I just couldn't remember, what I had done to install!

chris7ian

Post by chris7ian »

H4 for the outer Lamps, H3 for the inner Spots, ba9 for the sidelights.
1st bulb change since 2007 is good going! :D
1989 2.1 MV Auto

nesty

Post by nesty »

chris7ian wrote:H4 for the outer Lamps, H3 for the inner Spots, ba9 for the sidelights.

Cheers many thanks.
Well I rarely do night driving now in T25. So probably explains the duration.
How long are these Osram bulbs meant to last hours wise? I reckon not even used these for 40 hours.
I probably could feel hard done by, a change is required now! :roll:

chris7ian

Post by chris7ian »

nesty wrote:
chris7ian wrote:H4 for the outer Lamps, H3 for the inner Spots, ba9 for the sidelights.

Cheers many thanks.
Well I rarely do night driving now in T25. So probably explains the duration.
How long are these Osram bulbs meant to last hours wise? I reckon not even used these for 40 hours.
I probably could feel hard done by, a change is required now! :roll:

I don't know, but Osram is a quality brand so they should last longer than that! There's loads of thing that can kill a bulb though: vibration, over-powering, under-powering, touching the glass before fitting, manufacturer defect...
1989 2.1 MV Auto

nesty

Post by nesty »

Sorry to re-hash my old thread, I purchased 2 new Osrams nightbreakers, went to fit the new bulb and it still didn't work. :evil:

So it wasn't the bulb but connection, so sprayed the earth crown with WD40 contact cleaner (very good stuff) and number 3 on the fusebox, to eliminate the earths and hey presto the circuit worked.
Might as well keep the bulbs, as spares in the van. I didn't even think of checking the earths prior, as the age of the bulbs suited a blown bulb! :roll: