Strange Happenings

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Apex
80-90 Mem No: 0

Strange Happenings

Post by Apex »

On my way home from the frozen woods in Essex tonight, McDonalds looked good, but after eating my food and re-starting my Green Machine i was somewhat surprised that my Head lights would only go onto side lights then the wipers failed to work!!!. Thinking i might have blown a Fuse i pulled over and turned the engine off, before getting out in the ensuing blizzard and owning this since new i thought i would restart and try everything again, as if by magic all was now working.
Has anybody else ever had this happen, or do you think i'm in for a bigger surprise??
As im back out into the outback of Essex again at 4.30am tomorrow is there anything to check first. the AA can't get to where i go.

Apex

Jeff J
80-90 Mem No: 13853

Re: Strange Happenings

Post by Jeff J »

I think your ignition switch may have not been making properly but I'm not sure whether that affects the wipers or not. If the heater blower was not working either then it is definitely your ignition switch.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Sticking relay? Not coming back on when key returned.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

I'd go with ignition switch. When the ignition is off headlights don't work only sidelights and no wipers. Headlight relay is powered by terminal X on the ignition switch.

Quick 'n dirty fix (the type you may never need to do again). You need to spray some contact cleaner into the switch, operate it a few times and make sure the connecting terminals are clean. Disconnect battery first if being done in situ.

Once done, give it 10 minutes before you restore power and start the van to be sure the solvent has evaporated.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Apex
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Apex »

Thanks guys i will give the switch a good spay up tomorrow, really appreciate your help. had the green machine from new and take it for granted some times, always fires up first go and wakes the wife up when ELO burst's into song.

Apex

tonytech
80-90 Mem No: 477

Post by tonytech »

As above. I had a similar experience. I found that jamming a credit card thickness of plastic between the ignition switch and the steering column fixed the problem for several years.

T
There are 10 kinds of people. those who understand Binary and those who dont