Auto box illuminations

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Auto box illuminations

Post by maxstu »

For 1989 2.1DJ automatic...

My van's autobox has two holders for light fittings, yet only one power source...a typical live and earth with female spade connector. The bulb holders inside box look identical to instrumentation ones: insert and twist 90 degrees. But why two bulb holders with just one feed ?

Also I have resorted to a Heath Robinson illumination set up for now with a single dash bulb with soldered wires doing the task. But should bulb stay lit continuously? I thought it would act the same as dash lights, including dimming set up too. Yet it is lit immediately ignition key is turned to start engine and not governed by dash lights switch...is this normal?
Regards
Stuart
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Auto box illuminations

Post by CovKid »

You could wire it either way. ie with ignition on or via dash light circuit. I replaced all my dash lights with 10mm LEDs and they all come on with ignition, regardless of whether lights are on. Makes sense, as you can then always see dash clocks, hot air controls, and gear numbers when going under dark tunnels or trees and since they outlast tungsten bulbs and draw so little, they might as well be on all the time.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

A 10mm LED and say a 390 ohm resistor, will replace most dash lights (and box indicator) except where theres only a small holder and then you might need a 5mm or 3mm LED. Worth doing as they're so cheap to buy now. In fact all lights on mine are LED except headlight bulbs.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

izzybarnard
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by izzybarnard »

There's a VW chap on fleabay who kicks out all custom fit LED's for instro/autobox lights.
Just done all of mine and they're bang on in a bright blue.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
1987 Hightop with Subaru EJ25 Conversion

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Thanks to both of you for the information. :ok

Yet my main concern is why have two bulb holders and only one power supply for lighting autobox? Am I missing some wiring link bulbs to power?
MaxStu

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

I wouldn't be too concerned about it. If it looks ok, leave it at that.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Covkid, yes you are right. Not worth pursuing. :oops: Just another VW T25 conundrum l can live with and let go. Got a few similar or non van related more important issues to consider instead :ok
Like, can l be arsed to go to work cos of one inch of snow? Even though l work from home. Or for breakfast is it porridge or fried egg roll? Hmmmm! :lol:
Cheers
Stu
MaxStu

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

I'm no better to be fair. I'll often spend WAY too much time on something that in the scale of things, matters not. However, there are umpteen really good projects I've come up with and added to the WIKI (that many have adopted) so perhaps its not all in vain. I've yet to post my colour-changing dash :D Totally pointless ofcourse, but heck it looks damned good.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

CovKid wrote:I'm no better to be fair. I'll often spend WAY too much time on something that in the scale of things, matters not. However, there are umpteen really good projects I've come up with and added to the WIKI (that many have adopted) so perhaps its not all in vain. I've yet to post my colour-changing dash :D Totally pointless ofcourse, but heck it looks damned good.

Your alternatives are a always of interest to me. Me an the missus live on fairly limited budget. So running a vw camper, one Pug 206 estate and my still going strong 75k Suzuki gsf. requires us to persue value for money at all times. With knowledge of some of your value for money alternatives we ably run three vehicles knowing if there is a problem, then most likely there is an alternative and economcal option..
:ok
MaxStu

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

There are several types of owners I think. These are just a few.

1) The 'click-happy' ones that just buy everything new from one place (and brag about it) and in the mistaken belief that they'll get all their money back when they come to sell it

2) The resourceful owner who takes a more pragmatic approach and sniggers at his 'click-happy' neighbour, and actually thinks a problem through

3) The totally clueless but committed owner who is willing to try or at least ask others rather than rob the kids piggy banks when they're out

4) The owner that drops a subaru lump in (on a very stretched budget) but thinks upgrading the brakes is a luxury, so doesn't bother (met loads of those in 25 years). Plus he probably welds banded wheels on his driveway for his mates.

5) The 'short-haul' owner who is in the scene briefly, annoys the hell out of everyone else then gives up and buys a Nissa Micra. I never take ANY v-dub owner seriously until they've had it longer than 3 years.

6) The unrealistic owner who bought one for £500, sticks in his garden with plans for it, and it sits there for ten years until it rusts away.

There are probably more. Feel free to add them.... :D

I write up projects on the basis that the owner has few if any tools, and even less money. I'm a single working Dad so I'm used to making do when the need arises, but whatever I do, it lasts.

izzybarnard

Post by izzybarnard »

There's a really good Gowesty vid on youtube on replacing the instro and auto box bulbs with LED''s so I'd rec you search that.
LED's are polarity sensitive (wrong way round and they wont work) and they cant be wired in series which I reckon your autobox pair will be (mine were). Not a problem easy fix and the Gowesty vid explains all.
~£25 and you can get a full set of replacement LED's which are a 110% improvement, really pleased with mine.
Cheers cheersImageImage

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Aye, but £25 for two 12v rated LEDs is a bit much. They're freely available online. Last time I bought some they were a just a few quid for 10. Worth buying in packs cos they're so useful. Heres a pack of 3mm ones but you can get 5mm and even 10mm (in most colours too) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-3mm-Ult ... 0705.m4780" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

izzybarnard

Post by izzybarnard »

25 quid gets you 4 for the instro pod, 2 for the auto box and 1 for the heater panel. All correct fittings and rating fit straight in.

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

bargain then if its plug n play