DAB radio in van.

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

chuckle-bus-tom
80-90 Mem No: 4368

DAB radio in van.

Post by chuckle-bus-tom »

Hi all,

I have a new van from work, and would prefer to have DAB radio in it. I am not allowed to change the head unit (and doubt I could if I wanted to anyway, as it's most of the dash) so does anyone have any recommendations for a gadget that can do this?

There is and aux in and usb in for the vans stereo (t r a n s I t connect fyi)
1986 2.1DJ on carb. panel van/Reimo camper / 1991 2.1MV Swedish syncro doka

tea42
80-90 Mem No: 16094

Re: DAB radio in van.

Post by tea42 »

You need a DAB receiver which can either be connected to the Aux, alternatively something like this which you tune to a spare frequency on your FM radio. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2610531458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Dont know what reception quality is like though.
1980 T25 Devon Moonraker, 2 litre CU Air Cooled, Manual

Ian and Lins
80-90 Mem No: 3532

Post by Ian and Lins »

I saw these in Aldi, then twice the price in Halfords. Looks a bit of a faf.
https://www.aldi.co.uk/bauhn-dab-%26-fm ... 2197522500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Are we going on anything else?

1985 Petrol 1.9 A/S Hightop

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Ian and Lins wrote:I saw these in Aldi, then twice the price in Halfords. Looks a bit of a faf.
https://www.aldi.co.uk/bauhn-dab-%26-fm ... 2197522500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I like the look of that one, what with the ability to be a phone hands free AND a blue-tooth receiver (to your existing radio) so you can play stuff wirelessly off your phone, all for £39 = a very good deal I reckon :ok
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

tea42
80-90 Mem No: 16094

Post by tea42 »

Just purchased this gadget. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2884439231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Connected the output to the AUX connection on the van radio and stored it in the glovebox which also has a power socket. With my mobile mounted on a magnetic mount on the dashboard https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2496895721" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and Android Auto fired up on the phone I have the choice of several music streams, music from the phone itself, Tune in digital radio, Google Maps voice and screen Sat Nav with jam display and suggested alternative routing, and voice actuated phone all through the radios speakers. Total cost just over a tenner!
Unfortunately my van doesnt have a two position ignition switch so I will have to rewire the feed to the radio so that we can listen to music with the ignition switched off. Its a neat solution with only one trailing charging connection from the glovebox to the phone.
Dependent on the reliable availability of Tunein Radio through the phone's wireless data connection it does offer digital radio and 6 Music if thats what you are after?
Your enquiry prompted me to seek this solution, so thank you for your post.
1980 T25 Devon Moonraker, 2 litre CU Air Cooled, Manual

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

No chance of that ^^^ sort of phone data connection where I live. I'm lucky if I can even get a phone signal :twisted:

I would have to stick with DAB radio, (if I decide to bother ;))
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Moonrakers
80-90 Mem No: 13705

Post by Moonrakers »

Just buy a nice pocket DAB, they're great to use all over the place, and simply plug it into the AUX IN on the van's dash. Pure do one that's very small and headphones only, used it a lot in my van and the reception is great. Roberts make a chunkier one with a speaker and an extendable aerial that I've also got as a present somewhere, that's good too if you like the idea of having a proper little portable radio when not driving. Both are rechargeable via USB adaptor for cigarette lighters - I've fitted a dedicated USB charger for phones and stuff on the dash, an easy and cheap addition.
Current VW: 1986 Devon Moonraker, pop-top, 1.9 DG, 5-Speed