Indicators not working after removing dash to fit blower

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ginojasper
80-90 Mem No: 15755

Indicators not working after removing dash to fit blower

Post by Ginojasper »

After removing dashboard and replacing heater blower my indicators aren’t working! The horn is also not working. When I’ve put it all back together, when indicators are turned on all that happens is the green light comes on solid on the dash either way you try it but no light at the indicators. The hazards don’t work also. I think I’ve plugged everything back in correctly but something not quite right :( . Hopefully someone could give me some advice on what to check please. I’m a novice with electrics so any help would be grateful :ok

Many thanks
Andrew

1983 Westfalia hightop joker 1.9

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: Indicators not working after removing dash to fit blower

Post by bigherb »

Check the earth for the indicator relay (brown wire from relay to the earth crown on the A post).
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Ginojasper

Post by Ginojasper »

Thanks for reply, i think I’ve put the brown wire you are talking about on to the left fuse box screw with another earth wire. Not too sure where you mean by A frame? Where do you mean and would it matter if it’s earthed at fuse box?
Thanks

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

These are the earth crowns, you can earth to the bodywork where you like but your symptoms suggest the relay has no earth.
A post is the posts that hold the roof up, A the front ones B the next down the side of the vehicle C post is usually the rear post on cars our vans also have a D post
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I have occasionally seen the issue with indicators/hazards be caused by a fractured fuse (can be hard to spot) and/or bad connection at fusebox. Considering you've had the dash out, its common to end up with at least one item not working. Tends to be more likely where bullet fuses are used. Inspect them carefully.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Ginojasper

Post by Ginojasper »

Thanks for replies,
Will check the earth crown. Looks like from the picture it’s next to the drivers door ( left hand drive)? Can you get to it with the dash in ?
Like I say there were two wires that I’ve put on to one of the screws holding the fuse box in. They have not got rings on them so wouldn’t fit the earth crown.
Maybe a wire is floating about with a spade on it, I will check :D

Could you tell me please which fuse is for indicators and if hazards and horn are also on the same one?

Thanks

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Scroll down

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=8129901" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.