Temperature sensors

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

trundletruc
80-90 Mem No: 1225

Temperature sensors

Post by trundletruc »

I am changing my early cooling system DG 1984 to the later one with the thermostat at the front of the engine (1986ish). I will be using the Pierberg carb. I have not got the 2 water temperature sensors that fit in the thermostat and need to buy them as the ones on the early system don't fit. Presumable the one sensor works the temperature gauge and the other controls the Manifold heater, Choke heater and the Carb heater for partial load?
I would be really grateful if someone could tell me which ones of the multitudes in the catalogues I need? What colour wires go to which?
I've spent ages trying to find part numbers on the diagrams on the internet, wiring diagrams, for the 1986 vehicles but no luck!
Thanks
Trundletruc 1984 DG-DJ Devon Moonraker

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Temperature sensors

Post by Mocki »

You are going to have to adapt your loom somewhat if you don’t have the loom from a later engine bay

The temp sender will use the same wire you use for your single spade temp sender in the early system, but you will need a earth to it as well, as the thermostat housing is plastic , unlike the early one

As for the carb heater switch , you will be using the same wires as now, the sender is just a themo switch that triggers the relay in the black box .

Gauge sender
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/e ... k-wbx.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Temp switch for carb
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/coolant-te ... df-dg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

trundletruc
80-90 Mem No: 1225

Re: Temperature sensors

Post by trundletruc »

Thanks Mocki, thats just the information I require. Now to source some of the wire connectors!
Trundletruc 1984 DG-DJ Devon Moonraker