An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

VWKat
80-90 Mem No: 13186

Manifold Heater problem. 1.9 WBX early

Post by VWKat »

Hello,

Back again. New day, new problem.

It started out with a small voltage drop, then I couldn't start my van and there was a large voltage drop.
I did a basic check on the main cable to the starter and I replaced my starter motor. Luckily Euro Car Parts are doing some great deals at the moment.

Well, that wasn't the problem. So I then removed the alternator harness as I thought that might be it and yes, that seemed to solve the voltage drop. I thought it may have been the wiring gone bad as I have installed a leisure battery and thought that I have cooked the alternator wiring. After some further checks, no that's not it either. Then I realise the starter and alienator are wired into the black box at the rear of the engine. After some further checks and research I can see that the power also supplies the engine electrics and I made a few checks, after checking the Pre-heating relay, traced the problem to the large wire that runs under to the Manifold/Carb - I presume this is the Manifold Pre-heater. Phew!
It seems to be drawing a lot of power.

Does anyone know how I can go about repairing/replacing this part? has anyone had something similar happen?

I'm thinking I may have to remove the manifold to get to it. That I'm not looking forward to. Also, I cannot see if there is the part available.

Thanks for any help once again..

:roll:
Early 1985 1.9 WBX Autosleeper Camper

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Manifold Heater problem. 1.9 WBX early

Post by Aidan »

just disconnect it for now at the single spade join on the iirc red wire, except in properly freezing weather it is not needed
make sure the red wire from the black box is insulated so it can't make a connection to anything, the one from the heater can dangle it's effectively a negative but you might want to cable tie it tidy

VWKat

Post by VWKat »

Thanks for the reply. I love your funky paint work!.. llol

Argghh, I thought about that but I would prefer to repair it.. It's my van!.. :cry:

If I remove the relay, would that also be OK?

VWKat

Post by VWKat »

Or I suppose that relay could also supply power to other things, like the auto-choke possibly. So I will just disconnect the Pre-Heater only.

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

VWKat wrote: the problem to the large wire that runs under to the Manifold/Carb - I presume this is the Manifold Pre-heater. Phew!
It seems to be drawing a lot of power.

Does anyone know how I can go about repairing/replacing this part? has anyone had something similar happen?

I'm thinking I may have to remove the manifold to get to it. That I'm not looking forward to. Also, I cannot see if there is the part available.
They do draw a lot of current over 25-30A when they are first energised dropping as they heat up.
When you say you are getting a voltage drop at what point in the system and what are the symptoms?
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

VWKat

Post by VWKat »

Hello,
The voltage drops to below 8 volts and it is coming from the main cable. So far I have found it seems to be coming from the Manifold pre-heater pad that is screwed to the underneath of the manifold. When I connect a live to it, the voltage drops like crazy and there is a spark from the connector.

It looks like to replace the heater pad thing (not sure if you can even buy this part new) cannot be removed without removing the manifold, although there is a small gap that possibly could fit a small screw driver bit (I think it may be screwed to the bottom of the manifold)..but I'm not sure as I haven't done much research on this yet or taken a proper look, as it's a bit chilly out there right now!

bigherb

Post by bigherb »

Unlikely to be the heater it sounds like it working as it should You problem is more likely somewhere in the wiring. Where are you checking the voltage drop?

VWKat

Post by VWKat »

I've already checked many things and found the voltage drop coming from the relay in the black box. The relay that triggers the Manifold Pre-Heater. Then I disconnected the Pre-Heater directly and that solved my problems. When I connect the Pre-Heater directly to a live, it makes a spark and voltage drops like crazy. Think that is the problem.

bigherb

Post by bigherb »

I'll ask again where is the voltage dropping?

MGP
80-90 Mem No: 13910

Post by MGP »

The manifold heater won't be the cause of the voltage drop, it's pulling the voltage down because the power supply to it cannot supply the power due to high resistance in the cables or a connector, don't forget that a relay itself is a connection.Image

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
'89 1.9td AAZ engine
http://www.dubsonthefritz.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VWKat

Post by VWKat »

Don't worry about it guys! I have the info I need thanks to Aidan. (you will probably get in trouble now for providing useful information!)
:rofl
Last edited by VWKat on 20 Feb 2018, 11:18, edited 1 time in total.

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

I think the point is that disconnecting the heater only eliminates the symptom, a get you going fix.........you still have a voltage drop problem you have not addressed..... and it's your van :)
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

VWKat

Post by VWKat »

I will fix it sometime in the future, when I find out how to.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

It's Aidan.He does not like his name being misspelt.

thanks to Aiden
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

VWKat

Post by VWKat »

HUGE APOLOGIES!

anything else?