Internal lights from leisure battery?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Westy123
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Internal lights from leisure battery?

Post by Westy123 »

I think my brain exploded some time ago. Seems to work, but if it seems weird to you, might just put it all back and check with an auto electrician.

Westy123

Post by Westy123 »

I think my brain exploded some time ago!! It seems to work, but if it seems odd to you, I might just put it all back as was, and take it to an auto electrician.

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Nah, you don't need to do that.

Remove the leirure battery spade,
Disconnect the starter battery

Try and turn the radio on, it won't work.

Connect the leisure battery spade and try again, it should work.

Disconnect the leisure battery spade, reconnect the starter battery and try again, the radio should not work.

If all that works as expected, simply put the spade back in the bottom slot and you are done.

Now get yourself on ebay with the money save by not going to an auto electricain and buy a multimeter, you'll get a cheap one for less than a tenner, a decent ish one for £30 :)
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Westy123

Post by Westy123 »

Thanks for all your help today. Pretty sure now that someone has buggered about with the electrics at some point. Stereo needs ignition on to work, and does"t work at all off the leisure battery, although the internal lights do.Turned ignition on to see if that would work , still off the leisure battery, and the inline fuse blew! Think I might have to take it somewhere after all. Oh well - its been kinda fun all the same!

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Westy123 wrote:Thanks for all your help today. !

No worries, just a bit disappointed we didn't get there for you

Westy123 wrote:Pretty sure now that someone has buggered about with the electrics at some point. Stereo needs ignition on to work

Always possible, after all that's what we're doing now. It's normal on some cars for the stereo only to work with ignition on, but on both of my T25s that isn't the case

Westy123 wrote:although the internal lights do.Turned ignition on to see if that would work , still off the leisure battery, and the inline fuse blew!

Internal lights might be to do with what Westfalia do with the wiring when building the campers. I don't have one so I don't know. The fuse blowing seems indicative of a short, so you might be best taking it to an auto electrician.

Of course, there's a wealth of knowledge on here so someone else may be along with specific Westy knowledge to help
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine