Westfalia 1983 Eletrical questions

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Edwin1983
80-90 Mem No: 0

Westfalia 1983 Eletrical questions

Post by Edwin1983 »

Hello all , can anyone help with the following ?

I’m trying to find out how to rewire the van to make the interior lights run off the leisure battery as aposed to the engine battery as standard.

Also can someone confirm that the leisure battery should be charging when connected to a hook up as mine currently isn’t. So would this mean that the split charger is buggered ?

I’m a bit lost with the weasty display as well it blows the inline fuse every time the tap switch is turned on ... they both work independently but when connected together blows the fuse inline behind the panel. Please help sick of buying fuses with no joy :cry: Any ideas ?

Thank you in advance

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: Westfalia 1983 Eletrical questions

Post by kevtherev »

Edwin1983 wrote:Hello all , can anyone help with the following ?

I’m trying to find out how to rewire the van to make the interior lights run off the leisure battery as aposed to the engine battery as standard.

Also can someone confirm that the leisure battery should be charging when connected to a hook up as mine currently isn’t. So would this mean that the split charger is buggered ?

I’m a bit lost with the weasty display as well it blows the inline fuse every time the tap switch is turned on ... they both work independently but when connected together blows the fuse inline behind the panel. Please help sick of buying fuses with no joy :cry: Any ideas ?

Thank you in advance
The answer to the first question is explained in the wiki
The second is yes assuming the charger has not been removed or has stopped working.
Third is a short.
Methodical testing will find it.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

As far as the charger under the R&R bed goes, below is a quote from previous advice provided. They are supposed to charge both batteries on hook-up. Frankly mine has never worked and it hasn't ever been a problem.

These big old chargers often blow the internal 'mini' glass fuse and are also known to blow the small overheat fuse. For service, you will need to remove the screws and get inside the charger (all power unplugged of course)

The charger should evidently hum slightly when operating.

If you type Westfalia charger into the search function at the top of the page, you will find more about this topic, including a replacement option.

Edwin1983
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Edwin1983 »

Thank you for the feedback need to do more investigations with the display . The charger I may just not worry about as I plan on fitting a solar system at some point in the near future. I had a good read through the Manuel as I found an English version.