Crimpers

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Re: Crimpers

Post by bigbadbob76 »

At work (defence contract) we have certain joints that we must crimp not solder, this is due to solder wicking up the wire strands and making the joint prone to cracking when flexed. We have a standard we must adhere to and crimp tools are calibrated annually, we also check them every 6 months with a go/no-go tool. So I check my own crimp tool every so often too.
TBH I would happily solder wiring in my camper as once fitted it gets vibrated but not routinely flexed.
Crimping is easier though as long as you have the right tool and it isn't worn to the point where it doesn't crimp securely.
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

forget crimping - best and easiest way:

1 - strip 3/8" of insulation away .
3 - twist bare ends together, clockwise, 4 times, nice and tight.
4 - bend the twisted end back on itself
5 - wrap with 2" of insulation tape - any colour will do - or masking tape if really stuck (best avoided if wires are outside)

anyone want to buy a van, slight fire damage behind fuse panel but this is reflected in price, all modifications done by me but looking for a new project,
:D
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

^^^^ I had wiring like that on my Merc van when I bought it - the crazy thing was that the guy that did it was a ship's engineer. Rear drum brake linings were worn to nothing and front discs pads were detached from the backings. There are engineers and then there are engineers. :D
I clamp a pair of forceps onto the cable to stop wicking when soldering if needed.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

bigbadbob76 wrote:At work (defence contract) we have certain joints that we must crimp not solder, this is due to solder wicking up the wire strands and making the joint prone to cracking when flexed. We have a standard we must adhere to and crimp tools are calibrated annually, we also check them every 6 months with a go/no-go tool. So I check my own crimp tool every so often too.

Thanks Bob, I have been trying to educate this lot for years but some just love solder :rofl
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Post by nicq »

itchyfeet wrote:
bigbadbob76 wrote:At work (defence contract) we have certain joints that we must crimp not solder, this is due to solder wicking up the wire strands and making the joint prone to cracking when flexed. We have a standard we must adhere to and crimp tools are calibrated annually, we also check them every 6 months with a go/no-go tool. So I check my own crimp tool every so often too.

Thanks Bob, I have been trying to educate this lot for years but some just love solder :rofl

Probably to tight to buy the correct tools

:ok
2.1 Twin slider

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Some of the smaller specialized crimp tools we have at work are £250-£300 each but the generic crimp tools for the standard spade type crimps are only about £50, although you can pay alot more. A soldering iron is cheaper
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Slider2
80-90 Mem No: 15069

Post by Slider2 »

Agree with the anti soldering argument.

Trouble with crimping is the fact that even when people (like me) buy stupidly expensive elpress / TE crimp tools, if the cable is even marginally off the intended wire gauge, the crimp fails to engage properly.

To do it right you need the right connectors for the cable size and then the right jaws on the right tool. Crimp tools fail in DIY circles because people just assume that if it fits in the 'blue' connector then it'll crimp nicely.

Often I find bare terminals (subsequently fitted with a slide on boot) with a set of these http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/p ... rn-handles are most versatile on the van.

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Post by scottbott »

surely one of the worst culprits are those awful insulated terminals, bloody horrible things
Nil carborundum illegitimi

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I use both - EXCEPT when I have to make a connection outside the vehicle, and then I use solder as the extra protective layer helps delay corrosion of copper strands.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

I have seen and used just about every type of connection method as an electrical and electronics engineer. Same as CovKid, I use both crimp and solder, sometimes a combination of both depending on the connectors exposure to the elements. E.g, behind the dash is a very different environment to the chassis or engine bay. Bullet cnx always soldered.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Oddly, last week I picked up some crimpers on a second hand tool stall for a fiver. Seemed incredibly well engineered - main reason I bought them. Turns out they're 'F' crimpers - £500 new and just short of £100 second-hand. :D
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

nesty
80-90 Mem No: 4023

Post by nesty »

I have those crimpers like those RS ones. They are good make a decent crimp. They also have adjustment if required.
Holdsworth Villa2 1983 1.9 DG, 4 Speed, LPG & Petrol+underslung leisure tank

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

These are the ones I use. Made by Marksman (whoever that is). Under £10. Work well but I ignore the colour coding - just use the red slot :D