Oil light will you ever go away

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sarahandthebear
80-90 Mem No: 15882

Oil light will you ever go away

Post by sarahandthebear »

So we thought our oil light problem was fixed after replacing a part of the wire from the oil switch to the engine bay it had very bad black rot. The light went out after we fixed the wire it was coming on very dimly when driving. Anyway got back in the van this morning turned the engine over and there it was again dimly lit. I thought again it may be the same wire as when I connected it back to the oil pressure switch the rubber shield that protects the connector was broken. I drive to work and the light went out after a while persumbably because it eveaperated any moister. Just want to cheack though that this is a wiring fault and nothing els as I'm sure the light would stay on
1984 1.9 dg petrol westfalia joker

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Re: Oil light will you ever go away

Post by jrt »

Funnily enough I've had a similar problem.
Changed the wiring and cleaned the contacts behind the dash and thought all was sorted. Light came back on so changed the oil pressure switch, I couldn't do it at the same time as I did everything else as I didn't have the correct socket to remove the old one. Anyway once replaced everything is now ok.
Have you changed your switch? Cheap and easy to do.
Moisture could cause the light to glow. There was a post the other week from someone whose light came on after going through flood water-went out the following day.
David.
Last edited by jrt on 23 Dec 2017, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
the future is unwritten

sarahandthebear
80-90 Mem No: 15882

Re: Oil light will you ever go away

Post by sarahandthebear »

Thanks for the reply. No not changed the switch but after today I think I may so I can eleminate all the possible problems the van has very old wires in some parts and I need to have another look at the 14 pin behind the dash just invade it's that. I don't think it's anything to do with my oil pressure as the van dives fine and got me to work I'm assuming that I would not have made it If the pump was not working. I'll change the switch and see how I get on just trying to tell myself not to worry it's just a working fault
1984 1.9 dg petrol westfalia joker