Starts then stops......

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

skysurfin09
80-90 Mem No: 2820

Starts then stops......

Post by skysurfin09 »

Attended the fantastic Christmas party up Norff. Doris starts to play up, cutting out and finally stopping and then magically starting again. Enough to get back to home where upon she stopped and wouldn't start again. Called out a vehicle sparks who diagnosed a faulty Hall sensor. I took the bull by the horns and replaced it myself, roughly timed it up without a timing light and surprise surprise she started on the key first turn. She was running a little fast so I retarded the ignition fractionally and slowed the idle down and she still ran smoothly. Put her to bed last night and this afternoon I wanted to road test her, I travelled about 500yds when she cut out and stopped. She starts on the key and dies immediately. RAC thinks that something is shutting the fuel off straight after start up. He's checked for sparks (plenty) and checked the fuel pump(working) The unit sitting on top of the throttle assembly is vibrating nicely, what can be the problem? I've replaced the ignition module just before the party and cleaned all earths as recommended prior to this latest fault. I'm banjaxed and am becoming sorely tested by my lack of ability to sort this problem out. Can anyone please help or offer advice as slashing my wrists is becoming an attractive option....Rob :roll:
'89 2.1 injected (Digijet)...travelling in hope over adversity

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Re: Starts then stops......

Post by California Dreamin »

Anything said would be a complete guess but here you go.
1) Blocked petrol filter.
2) Ignition switch playing up.
3) Mechanical? fuel pump failing..
4) Loose battery/main lead connections or terminals.
5) Over-choking (broken pull off spring)
6) Blocked filter gauze on carb inlet
7) Blocked idle jet/air jet .. I have no idea of your carb.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

muttleypup
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by muttleypup »

Just a thought, has this particular fault started only AFTER the ignition module was changed? If so it may be that which is faulty, just because it's new doesn't mean it's working as should. I had a similar problem (not a T25) years ago with a relatively new module, vehicle would sit at idle happily all day long but cut out when driving, pondering problem and idly tapped the module and it cut out, so was failing with vibration i guess, replaced it with another and it was ok.
1987 single cab pickup 1.9 1Y

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Most common cause is fuel pump not keeping up (or sticking float valve) and carb effectively runs out of fuel.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

2.1 DJ folks.

No carb.

lambda
fuel pump relay
Bentley shows some sort of RPM sensor.
Do these fail?

etc etc

anyone familiar with the DigiJet system cos I'm not...

ROB - put your engine type in your signature!!
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

skysurfin09

Post by skysurfin09 »

ermie571 wrote:2.1 DJ folks.

No carb.

lambda
fuel pump relay
Bentley shows some sort of RPM sensor.
Do these fail?

etc etc

anyone familiar with the DigiJet system cos I'm not...

ROB - put your engine type in your signature!!

1989 2.1injected (Digijet).....New Module , new Hall sensor, fuel pump 6months old

My apologies to everyone who has taken the time to reply, so so stupid to have missed putting engine details up. Dunce cap on and standing in corner as I write. My only excuse is that at the time of writing I was standing on the ledge ready to jump....
RAC man checked fuel pump relay and pump was proved sound. I feel certain that it is something that I've done when replacing the Hall unit, but I can't see what. Rob :oops: :oops: :oops:

P.S Em we'll be having words when next we meet....lol

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

If you have a new problem having replaced a component, general rule is look at the new component. Either for installation, or in case it is faulty. Put the old one back in and see if the behaviour is the same.

I'm assuming you replaced the hall sender after removing the distributor, which is why you needed to re-time it ? Can you replace in situ ?

One daft question.... there is fuel in it isn't there (don't necessarily rely on the gauge)
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

skysurfin09

Post by skysurfin09 »

Yes mate definite;y fuel in there, I've tried an alternate Ignition module but the fault remains there. What I don't understand at all is that. when I first started the bus after replacement the Hall sensor, she fired on the key and ran at least 5mins getting the engine warmed up. I then turned her off and on several times because I didn't trust my own work and each time she fired on the key. She was running a little fast so I retarded her very slightly and that did the trick. I left overnight and the next day I went to take her to the fuel pump (500yds) and she cut out and would only fire on the key and shut off immediately with no tick over. :oops: :oops:

jimrat
80-90 Mem No: 15812

Post by jimrat »

Hi

I've had similar sounding problems on my (2.1 DJ) van recently - see here: http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 4&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think it was caused by a faulty Hall generator inside the dizzy. £35 from Brickwerks for new part - bit fiddly to fit...

Cheers
Jim
1990 T25 camper, 2.1 DJ

skysurfin09

Post by skysurfin09 »

jimrat wrote:Hi

I've had similar sounding problems on my (2.1 DJ) van recently - see here: http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 4&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think it was caused by a faulty Hall generator inside the dizzy. £35 from Brickwerks for new part - bit fiddly to fit...

Cheers
Jim

Fitted new Hall sensor from Brickwerks as a vehicle sparks condemmed the original one..... :shock: Rob

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

New bits can be faulty..... annoying when they are, which I why it's a good diagnostic to put the old part back, especially if it was not completely unservicable
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

skysurfin09

Post by skysurfin09 »

2.1 Digijet system

Update on Starts then Stops. I've reset the timing and as before she fires then dies immediately, however the last couple of times she did try to idle but to no avail. I about to attempt to change the ignition switch. I've taken the cowl off and undone the lower Allen screw but do I really have to take off the steering wheel? Any advice would be most welcome....Merry Christmas one and all..

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

No need to change the ignition switch just yet, test it first. Put a bridging wire from the battery +ve post in the black box to the 15 terminal on the coil (black wire - that's the live feed from the ignition switch). If it runs ok now, it's the switch or wiring. If not, it's not.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

skysurfin09

Post by skysurfin09 »

ajsimmo wrote:No need to change the ignition switch just yet, test it first. Put a bridging wire from the battery +ve post in the black box to the 15 terminal on the coil (black wire - that's the live feed from the ignition switch). If it runs ok now, it's the switch or wiring. If not, it's not.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Cheers mate, I give that a go thanks. Rob

skysurfin09

Post by skysurfin09 »

:shock: I've dropped off the rocker cover off and set the timing via pot 1 to be sure. I've also removed the plugs to check their state.Remember that I'd being trying to start the engine for a period of about three hous.
PLUG 2 = wet but not excessively so.
PLUG 3 = Sooty and slightly damp.
PLUG 4 = Sooty and dry.
PLUG 1= I left alone in situ.

I cleaned up the plugs and tried to start the engine, to no avail. I've rechecked the fuel pump, the lines down to the injectors are pulsing and I've tried two different ignition modules and the results are exactly the same. Hopefully I've someone coming tomorrow to check the timing with a strobe so at least I'll be able to rule that out. Any ideas would be welcome please. Rob