Temp Gauge... Now reading too Hot

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

crazyhorse
80-90 Mem No: 15202

Temp Gauge... Now reading too Hot

Post by crazyhorse »

Hi all,

Im not too worried about this, or should I be.

ImageIMG_2902 by Crazy Horse, on Flickr

After changing thermostat last week, with the gauge sitting in the middle, on a 150 mile trip it decided to go down to the bottom again.

So I decided to change the the sensor on the housing. What seemed like an easy job of quickly pulling out old one and replacing with a new black one,https://www.vwheritage.com/251919501-se ... -8-85-8-90
turned out to be a job I never want to do again.

The old sensor wouldnt come out and took an age to remove, by which time I had hacked at it as it broke into small pices, when I finally got it off, half the coolant in the van was all over me. :oops:

Anyhow, system bled, gauge is working... but its a lot higher than before. Fan Comes on.

When I first fitted the switch, and started bleeding system, gauge wasnt working after 5 mins. I hadnt connceted the spades on the new sensor :oops: :oops:

As a result the van was warm already, could this have caused the higher gauge reading?? Like I said it works, made a 200 mile round trip last night and pretty much stayed the same reading all night.

Im just being a bit anal here and chill out
87 Transporter 1.9 WBX DG and LPG. In Maroon

http://www.guestwho.biz

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Re: Temp Gauge... Now reading too Hot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Did you bleed it fully to get rid of any air locks. http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/bleed ... 29710.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Honorary "Dave" 

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

You say the fan comes on but under what conditions?
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

Bled following Baxters method.

Fan came on after about 15mins of stationary reving and bleeding

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

It's fine.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

Bubble Meister
80-90 Mem No: 4246

Post by Bubble Meister »

Thats where mine sits too. Bleed the radiator again after a few journeys to be sure. Once all the air is confirmed out there's little you can do to reduce the running temperature - maybe a flush of the radiator (removed from van).

I found quite a bit of crud in the radiator and the pipes near it despite the coolant being pure clean pink. Must be the heavy stuff or where local flow is minimal.

Radiator off is a summer job though ;)
Introducing Bubble, the B reg '85, 1.9 DF WBX (currently with a DG fitted!)

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

There's quite a few "where does your needle sit" threads on here and it seems that we're all different. As above if it has been bled correctly all should be good. Mine sits just before the red light and first stage fan kicks in about/just after where the needle sits in your pic'.
David.
the future is unwritten

crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

Thanks all,

Will pull out spade connectors on sensor with van cold this morining and put it on again.

90% sure van has bled but will check.

Just to get this right, I only need to undo radiator bleed screw a little bit to make sure sure all air is out. When I did this the other day, the more I turned it the more coolant flowed out with no bubbles.

Radiator was new in the summer, but when I did bleed it the other day it took an age for the radiator to warm up

dbz864
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 12098

Post by dbz864 »

Could be many things. Firstlying you changed your stat, could be that if it's a lower temp stat it will do that to the gauge. Secondly the temp sensor could be at fault as since you replaced it the trouble began. Could be a lot of things including rad as suggested , obviously nothing terminal as g you've 200 miles since, I've had a few vans like this, changed things one by one to try to find the causes, hate it when gauges sit there.adam
We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.
- Marilyn Monroe

crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

dbz864 wrote:Could be many things. Firstlying you changed your stat, could be that if it's a lower temp stat it will do that to the gauge. Secondly the temp sensor could be at fault as since you replaced it the trouble began. Could be a lot of things including rad as suggested , obviously nothing terminal as g you've 200 miles since, I've had a few vans like this, changed things one by one to try to find the causes, hate it when gauges sit there.adam

Thanks Adam.

It is a bit annoying, I know its nothing to worry about ( I hope). My OCD is wanting it back in the middle. Though I do have other things to worry about, such as a leaking windscreen

Stat was from Heritage with a opening of 87 degrees. The cheapskate in me got it from there as it was cheaper than Brickwerks. Temp sensor was also from Heritage, black D shaped one.