An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

14 pin connector/faint oil pressure light

Post by jrt »

23795567_1977206465871500_5202031903242085586_n.jpg
(65.43 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Evening, can someone please advise me before i go into the instrument cluster with my massive clumsy hands!
Got red oil light on ignition-goes out when engine fires up. All good so far but lately the light has started to be very faint then bright every time i've used the van. Quite random and tonight in the dark noticed a very faint glow while i was driving home.
Took the cover off the cluster to have a look and wiggled the large connector on the right hand side with the ignition on, this resulted in the light flickering and fading.
Started van up and it went out as usual. Does this connector just plug in or is there a knack in getting it off. Should i unscrew the whole of the cover to get to it and how's best to clean the contacts. That's IF it is this connector that is causing the problem ?? Don't want to go damaging anything.
Thanks in advance -David 1983 dg wbx.
Last edited by jrt on 22 Nov 2017, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
the future is unwritten

jrt

Re: connections behind instrument cluster.

Post by jrt »

Just had a few replies on fb and have found a bit of advice and some pics in an old post from Slowcoach from last year. Going to make sure the connection is tight and see how it goes as it's behaving itself now. Just had a few horror stories about knackering up the fragile terminals.
David
the future is unwritten

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

It's just a push fit, no clips or anything. Might just need a pull out and wiggle back in :-)
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

jrt

Post by jrt »

Happening again today. Just spent an hour and a half trying to sort it. Took the instrument pod out and cleaned connections-looked clean to start with. Cleaned the pressure switch connection and bypassed the old wire from there into the engine bay with some new. Cleaned up the earth crowns-again looked ok as i did them not so long a go. I have got a new switch to try today but none of my sockets are deep enough to go over it so will try tomorrow. In daylight i doubt you'd even see the bloody light, it's faint enough in the dark.
David
the future is unwritten

jrt

14 pin connector/faint oil pressure light

Post by jrt »

Is it straightforward to run a wire direct from the pressure switch to the black box in the engine bay. Getting rid of the old wire and crappy connection between the two wires in the engine bay that i have at the mo'. No good at electrics but willing to have a go. Anything i should be wary of?? How can such a small faint light pi$$ me off so much :x
David 83 dg wbx
the future is unwritten

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: 14 pin connector/faint oil pressure light

Post by AngeloEvs »

May not be the cause in your case but moisture across the oil pressure switch terminals after heavy rain caused my oil pressure led to illuminate faintly. You could disconnect the wiring to the switch and if the LED continues to glow faintly then it is not the switch and no need to replace it.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

jrt

Re: 14 pin connector/faint oil pressure light

Post by jrt »

Had another go tonight. Replaced the wire from the switch and gave the connector another clean with contact cleaner, seems to have done the trick. I've run it on the drive but will give it a road test tomorrow. If it re occurs i'll put the new switch on. Tried unplugging the switch last night- no light at all.
David
the future is unwritten