faulty ignition switch ?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

skysurfin09
80-90 Mem No: 2820

faulty ignition switch ?

Post by skysurfin09 »

Doris the bus has decided to cut out on me and I need to get her to the garage for her MOT tuesday morning. When driving she suddenly stopped running and the igition light did not come on as it should, As I had forward speed, thinking that it might be fuel, leaving her in gear did not restart at all, even as being towed home she still wouldn't fire over. As soon as I turned the ignition back on the light came on but even though she turned over there was no firing. If this is a faulty ignition switch, I've ordered a replacement through Brickwerks, is there a hot wire bypass that I could use as a temporary fix to get her to the garage so I don't have to call out the RAC Please...Regards Rob :ok
'89 2.1 injected (Digijet)...travelling in hope over adversity

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Re: faulty ignition switch ?

Post by bigbadbob76 »

If it's turning over on the key, pull a spark plug and check for sparks before condemming the ignition switch.
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

skysurfin09

Post by skysurfin09 »

10.65v at the coil ht down to dizzie with ignition on. No spark from lead when down to earth on cranking. Any ideas, could it be the coil deceased?

skysurfin09

Post by skysurfin09 »

very kind rac man has fault found it to be a faulty ignition module. He had a spare from a vauxhall but it had no heat sink so wouldn't fit it but he made Doris start. Yipeeee!!!