Recommendation for Alternator Refurb Parts

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Recommendation for Alternator Refurb Parts

Post by maxstu »

Just out of sheer interest l recently dismantled the starter motor on my Auto 2.1. Fairly straightforward, all it needed was a clean up to remove dust and a quick wet and dry rub with petrol on the contact bushes and light lubrications. Now spins better than ever.
So intend to do the same for alternator. But l cant remove nuts holding smaller wires to terminal. And have now broken plastic isolator block. Replacement parts now sought together with any other bits l think may need exchanging when taken apart.
Please recommend a company for such parts.
Regards
Stuart
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Recommendation for Alternator Refurb Parts

Post by CovKid »

Fair play to you for tackling it :D I wish more people would. My first thought would be to pick up another second hand one and assemble yours using the best parts from the two. It would at least keep costs to a minimum. You can buy a diode pack (if needed) from ebay.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

In total agreement Cov. For ten years l have read your "alternative" views and ideas for maintaining a T25 with much envy. I am finally beginning to really understand my van's needs and how robust the original equipment is. Perhaps many are unnecessarily forking out big bucks for new ( or perhaps rebuilt) components that are easily refurbished at home, on the kitchen worktop...mamsab permitting of course. Not me from here on. And l must say it is very satisfying.

:ok
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Aye. There are, sadly, many who throw money at a problem. I've owned three T25s now, the most recent in my possession for 10 years and it only cost £385. That price tag alone rules out certain accessories as some cost more than I paid for the entire vehicle, at what can only be described as 'southern' prices. The cost of starters and alternators has rather fallen into line with the modern approach of selling a new vehicle, then making their real money on the replacement parts. Worse, the parts themselves have a shorter life span. Much of VWs approach up until 1980 was simplicity, and in part made their vehicles much more reliable, a slogan they continued to use even when their vehicles became far from reliable.

I learnt to fabricate things when I worked in a small engineering shop in Leyton Buzzard in the 1970s. Why buy new when you can replicate or modify something to work as well if not better than it did. I just draw the line at running gear as many will come unstuck when 'classic vehicle' becomes more subjective over the next few years. There does come a point where a classic has been changed so much, its arguable if its the same vehicle anymore. :rofl

Plus a lot of 'accessories are just bling and you never really see any return on them - other than selling to some other unsuspecting owner who is also taken in by bling :)
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.