Battery or Ignition Switch - Solved - My own stupidity!

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

therollingbrick
80-90 Mem No: 14280

Battery or Ignition Switch - Solved - My own stupidity!

Post by therollingbrick »

Sorry if this is a daft one.

So I have had a temperamental issue, the best kind, where sometimes when I turn the ignition nothing lights up.
I then proceed to take off the connector into the ignition switch, spray a bit of contact cleaner, reattach and away we go.
Last night however this was not enough. I went round and checked all my earths and connections. The battery was showing 12.8v. Still nothing apart from once when the dash lights flickered when trying the key.
So I call out the breakdown. He then puts a booster box on the battery and away we go. All lights on and she starts like a dream. The breakdown fellow, Ian, then informes me it is definitely the battery, As I was getting 13 or maybe 14 volts from the alternator. I was still in shock at this point so I don’t remember the exact number! I drove home, 10 miles,with no faults at all and reversed to my drive. Then as soon as I’ve turned the ignition off I figure, I’ll try to start her again.... lo and behold nothing no lights or anything.
So my question to the great minds of Club 80-90 is this, Do I invest in a super good new battery or could it be a dodgy ignition switch? I’ve been looking at the Halfords Yumax Lofetime Guarantee ones at £147 because I have always been told to buy the best battery possible?
Last edited by therollingbrick on 09 Nov 2017, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

1985 1.6TD JX Devon Conversion

https://www.instagram.com/therollingbrick" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: Battery or Ignition Switch

Post by bigherb »

The sidelights don't go through the ignition switch, do they work?
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Post by shepster »

Well, an ignition switch will cost you less than a tenner from Brickwerks so that might be worth a try first.
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

A particular bit in your description certainly points towards the ignition switch! diagnosis by proxy is never really accurate, I would be fully charging the battery and take it down to Halfrauds for a free battery check. Their smart battery checker should give a much more accurate assessment of battery condition. If it is the battery then order online, don't pay their over inflated prices. Ignition switches are under a tenner and take about an hour to change..sure this is covered on WIKI.
Top Tier batteries
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-Varta-E3 ... 0005.m1851" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-S5007- ... SwXeJXc71q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

a friend of mine has recently bought a pair of new heads and they came bare, could have had any valves fitted I suppose, can you see a makers name on them? its the valves that are faulty not the heads

therollingbrick
80-90 Mem No: 14280

Post by therollingbrick »

Thanks for the replies guys. I have a confession....

So I used your advice bigherb and no side lights!

Then I went round and checked all the connections again and it turned out I had missed a big one... one of the first ones you should check. The negative terminal on the battery. I put a new bolt in and all my problems have been solved, well not all but the most pressing ones!

Sorry for wasting your time guys but at least my earths are all clean now!

Thanks California Dreamin for the battery tips I may get one anyways as the battery on the van was on it from before I had it and its taken some stick as ive had current drains and all sorts over the three years I've had her!
Paul

1985 1.6TD JX Devon Conversion

https://www.instagram.com/therollingbrick" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;