ignition light staying on

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

ignition light staying on

Post by scottbott »

it happened yesterday morning but I had to get to the doctors so I drove it there and back (10miles) and checked the belt was tight and it was so I left it on charge for 24 hours and tried against was still on so I removed the brush pack and one of the brushes was barely sticking out of its housing, bit annoyed as it is not that long maybe 5 years or so it was 'Topran' brand and the 14.5 volt type will have to dig through my paperwork to see if I can find the receipt,have ordered a replacement from Brickwerks so should be up and running in a couple of days.Should have realised there was a problem as a couple of times the ignition light has stayed on so I switched it off and restarted and it went out so ignored it,plonker :roll:
Nil carborundum illegitimi

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: ignition light staying on

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

A slip ring may have got rough previously leading to faster wear on one brush - might not be the fault of the regulator that you put in last time.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

I had a Topran one do just the same. :roll:
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Depends how many miles you do but 5 years doesn't seem that bad to be honest. Its a hostile environment in there. Worn slip rings will wear brushes faster anyway.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

scottbott

Post by scottbott »

just posted that I cannot get the archive to works there anywhere else on the forum about slip rings, thanks do not think I am having a senior moment!

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Slip rings form part of a complete alternator rebuild, as does the diode pack which would also cause the ignition light to stay on. More obvious causes (and easier to fix) are the blue wire from alternator to dash.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

scottbott

Post by scottbott »

fitted replacements today and light has gone out,will try and give the van a decent run next week