Radiator Fan - 1982 1.9 T25 Watercooled / Petrol

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

stuiesav
80-90 Mem No: 0

Radiator Fan - 1982 1.9 T25 Watercooled / Petrol

Post by stuiesav »

Hi - I wonder if anyone can help.

My T25 radiator fan wont come on. Ive tried disconnecting the switch on the the radiator (where the 3 terminals are) - and on the cable end - switching - using a jump wire between the three terminals. For a short while the slow and fast fan speeds came on - but now fuse No.7 (in the glove compartment) blows almost instantly (and fan doesnt even start to spin).

So - A couple of questions..

1. Does this sound like the fan motor is bust?
2. What is the correct current rating for the fuse in No.7 Slot
3. Has anyone seen this issue - and please can they HHEELLP
4. If anyone has a fuse and relay layout of t25 1.9 watercooled Petrol -would be much appreciated
5. Please - someone help ! :-)

Thanks in advance

Stu

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Re: Radiator Fan - 1982 1.9 T25 Watercooled / Petrol

Post by jrt »

We had a similar problem when we first got our van. Fuse 7 (8 amp) kept blowing. I was assured by Brickwerks and others that fan failure was very uncommon. We knew sod all about electrics so got an auto electrician to call and have a look at it. He said the van was set up originally to have a 1 speed fan but had been changed to a 2 speed. After a bit of discussion on here i put a 16 amp fuse in it and never had a problem since.
Early fuses 1-tail light, parking left 8 amp
2-tail light, parking light, no plate, fog 8 amp
3-low beam left 8 amp
4-low beam right 8 amp
5- high beam left, hb warning 8 amp
6-high beam right 8 amp
7-radiator fan 8 amp
8- interior light, socket/cig, brake lights 8 amp
9-emergency light, radio 16 amp
10- windscreen wiper, blower 16 amp
11 turn signal 8 amp
12 horn 8 amp
David 1983 wbx dg
the future is unwritten

stuiesav
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by stuiesav »

cheers buddy - much appreciated.

Out of interest - did you check the fan runs - by unplugging the thermastat / switch - and then jumping wires between the three spade (female) connecters to make the fan spin up?

Thats the point at which it blows the fuse

Cheers

Stu

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

Yes, had a look to see if i could find my original post but it seems to have been deleted. When it first happened i tested the fan directly, bypassing the fuse to make sure the fan ran ok .
David
the future is unwritten

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Both fan motor and dash blower can pull some amps on initial startup. The load on each circuit can be considerable until each get up to speed. This is made much worse as an electric motor ages. What owners tend to do is up the fuse rating to get around the problem (bad move) although 16 amp for fan should be perfectly fine.

Also worth noting that earlier T25s had blower and wipers on the one fuse. I covered this some years ago in the WIKI - they need separating for safety reasons. When the vehicle was built, that may have been fine but the blower tends to exceed the fuse rating when its pushing 25-30 years. A blower fuse burnt out isn't the end of the world but it is when it also takes out the wipers in torrential rain ;)

If I remember rightly, if you look above earth crowns you'll see a relay on some models. This is for the flat-out radiator fan speed. Try removing it and pushing it home again. A poor connection there will tend to blow the fan fuse too. It took me some time to figure that one out.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.