An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

crazymilk
80-90 Mem No: 14722

Fuel Gauge Issues

Post by crazymilk »

Hi there
Hoping somebody might be able to help.

My fuel gauge has stopped working, so automatically thought it was the sender so dropped the tank and took out the old sender. Put in a new sender (not in the tank but just connected the sender to make sure it was working before putting the tank back in). SO still not working with anew sender plugged in.

So then I jumped the twp pins on the sender wire and turned the ignition on. Still nothing from the fuel gauge.
So I took the actual fuel gauge out and wired the two terminals do a battery directly to see if it went up - again nothing.

I am now save to assume the fuel gauge has broken as I always thought these things never go bad???

Aslo just another quick question, I know that if the temp gauge AND fuel gauge dont work there is a good chance it could be the 10v regulator. IS this still a possibility if ONLY the fuel gauge doesn't work?

Thanks
http://www.justgermancrew.com Come and join the FUN!
1985 VW T25 EJ25 SOHC Hydro Bus

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Fuel Gauge Issues

Post by CovKid »

The three-legged voltage regulator on the back of the clocks also plays a big part in a working fuel gauge. They can fail too.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

crazymilk
80-90 Mem No: 14722

Post by crazymilk »

Thanks CovKid.
Yeah the 10v regulator thingy?

Is it possible however for this to effect only the fuel gauge operation as my temp gauge is working fine. I was always under the impression that if this part was bad it would affect both the temp and fuel gauges???
http://www.justgermancrew.com Come and join the FUN!
1985 VW T25 EJ25 SOHC Hydro Bus

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

crazymilk wrote:Thanks CovKid.
Yeah the 10v regulator thingy?

Is it possible however for this to effect only the fuel gauge operation as my temp gauge is working fine. I was always under the impression that if this part was bad it would affect both the temp and fuel gauges???
The 10v regulator powers both the fuel and temp gauges so I'd imagine it would affect both.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

12v across the gauge will sent it straight to max (as long as polarity is correct) so sounds like a faulty gauge to me.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine