Sink water pump problem

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Profscooter
80-90 Mem No: 16239

Sink water pump problem

Post by Profscooter »

Hi all, first post here, I have recently acquired my first VW camper, a 1986 Auto-Sleeper high top T25, yes I know, only 31 years late to the party. Anyway all has been fine until last weekend when the water pump for the sink has stopped working. We were on a site without electric hookup and it was working OK off the leisure battery, although the tap began spluttering a bit and we put it down to the tank being nearly empty. Shortly afterwards, I turned the tap on and there was not even the sound of the pump kicking in. I've added some water to the tank so there is definitely some in there. The pump is mounted at the rear of the bottom cabinet adjacent to the rock and roll bed. I've checked for loose wires but can't see anything obvious, and the fuse in the panel above the window seems fine (have swapped with one of the other spares, no joy). It doesn't work on hookup either.

I am not sure if it is a micro switch type of tap, I can't hear any clicks when operating it, but when it was working, I did notice a small leak under the sink any time the tap was closed - the pump never properly shut off when the tap was turned off, and we always had to flip the switch by the fuse to stop it, otherwise water dripped out of the hose where it connects to the sink. It looks like a previous owner has had to use some silicone sealant in the connection between the hose and the sink inlet, which was past its best. Any ideas as to what the problem might be and what I should try next? I have got a multimeter but am not sure where I should place the probes to test connectivity, and it's a tricky space to get your head into too. All suggestions gratefully received :)
1986 Auto-Sleeper VHT high top 1.9 petrol RHD

Wear Sunscreen
80-90 Mem No: 6306

Re: Sink water pump problem

Post by Wear Sunscreen »

I had the same problem a few weeks ago and despite all investigations I ended up buying a new pump which worked with no problem.
Regards the small leak I also have the same problem but not sure how to fix it.
TO THE CLASS OF 99

Just a miserable old git

Profscooter

Post by Profscooter »

Well I've done a bit more investigation today, the pump seems entirely dead, don't know why, I presume it isn't still the original pump from 31 years ago, which, going by the owners manual, would have been a Shurflo pressure pump, so I guess I need to replace with similar. There is a "Shurflo Water Pump 7 L/Min 20 Psi 12V" widely available for about £50, anyone know if this would be suitable? There don't seem to be any wires coming from the tap and the tap is solidly fixed to the sink, so I'm hoping (as a non-electrician) it would just be a straight swap and a case of connecting existing wires to corresponding terminals on new pump.

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

So have you taken a known 12v supply to the pump , after first disconnecting the wiring from the pump from the van ?
I would be trying that before buying a pump .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Profscooter

Post by Profscooter »

No, I'll see if I can find a 12v Duracell or similar and give it a try first.

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Profscooter wrote:No, I'll see if I can find a 12v Duracell or similar and give it a try first.

seriously?
no i meant a independent feed from a vehicle battery, a temp bit of wire direct from the battery, by passing the switch ect to proove the pump is at fault
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Wear Sunscreen
80-90 Mem No: 6306

Post by Wear Sunscreen »

I replaced my pump with exactly the same as you have mentioned, easily installed and works fine.
TO THE CLASS OF 99

Just a miserable old git

Profscooter

Post by Profscooter »

Replaced the pump in the end yesterday with a new Shurflo. Perfect job for a T25 novice, it turned out, took off old pump, two wiring and two water connections to make. Red and black wires on pump, and pump water inlet and and outlet. Red and black wires in van, hose from tank and hose to sink. Connections made, hoses tightly on pump, pump mounted to same location as old pump (side of bottom cabinet), power on, and pump works! But a bit sputtery at times (there was plenty of water in tank). I wonder if this problem is because of the dodgy connection to the sink.

The hose connecting to the sink has an angled white plastic nozzle in the end, held in place in the hose with a jubilee clip. However this then just pokes into a hole in the side of the sink where the tap is, which is a hexagonal nut within which is a black plastic insert that receives the white nozzle in the hose end. But there is no obvious way of securing this nozzle to the sink. The previous owner had tried gluing it with silicone sealant, which leaked. When you close the tap, the hose is forced away from the sink connection, chucking water out under the sink. To turn the water off it is thus necessary to flick the water pump control panel switch.

How should the hose connect securely to the sink? And would this be the reason for the sputtering?