Battery Tester .. what should I buy

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

wbmkk
80-90 Mem No: 9757

Battery Tester .. what should I buy

Post by wbmkk »

My van isn't used much so a few days ago I decided to charge it. I was going somewhere so thought it best to give it a boost.

Everything was fine. Now today i drive out and on the way home 'nothing' it won't start. The battery seemed OK, the wee green light in the middle of the battery was glowing and the lights seemed OK when I tried them.

Got a battery boost and off I went .. straight home obviously.

Tomorrow I'll take the van to a local garage for a check .. my mate actually runs the garage.

It made me think though .. is there some sort of device that I can buy just to check the battery is 'as it should be'

Also ... I think I better buy myself a decent set of jump leads ... any recommendations please would be useful too.
thanks !
Van : 1989 1.6 TD Water Cooled California

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: Battery Tester .. what should I buy

Post by R0B »

Buy yourself a multimeter.Or if you fancy a bit of bling.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24K-LED-Digit ... SwtZVZr7-H" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

is there some sort of device that I can buy just to check the battery is 'as it should be'
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Post by scottbott »

they are a bit flash, never seen anything like that before
Nil carborundum illegitimi

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

...and almost certainly a waste of money in a vehicle where you can hear the birds chirp outside but its bling, no doubt about that. More suited to modern vehicles with a detailed engine bay - for those into that kind of thing. On top of that, voltage is not much of an indicator for the battery's ability to crank an engine. Amps count too. Halfords do free battery checks I think.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

scottbott

Post by scottbott »

what about an Optimate TS120 battery and cranking tester, can be left hoped up not bad for £40

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Not bad although how many times are you likely to use it? Once, twice?

This is good enough test for most of us and you only need a basic multimeter: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/ho ... 4/4221215/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

scottbott

Post by scottbott »

they can be left hooked up so maybe positioned nicely by the battery and also good for motorcycles,maybe extend the leads and have it mounted on the dash somewhere at least you can see what is what and the quality should be good

spherehopper
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by spherehopper »

You don't need the tester but a conditioner to keep it trickle charged. CTek are the best make but Aldi do an equivalent for around £14 from time to time.

a1winchester
80-90 Mem No: 7187

Post by a1winchester »

Don't go by the headlights - they shine nicely at voltages much lower than the starter motor needs.

Instead of jump leads, consider getting a battery pack, especially if you have a camper. Not only will it start you if you have a flat battery (without having to manoevre another vehicle up to yours), but you can use it as an additional leisure battery if you need to charge phones etc.

I have a Clarke's one. They come in all different sizes, and some have air compressors built in to pump your tyres / inflatable toys etc. (ooer!)

A lot more expensive than jump leads but a lot more versatile.
1990 Autosleeper Trident. Water cooled 1.9L DG + 4 speed manual box

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Next thursday..https://www.aldi.co.uk/autoxs-car-batte ... 2169939100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aldi do an equivalent for around £14 from time to time.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"