Security systems

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

zog953
80-90 Mem No: 0

Security systems

Post by zog953 »

Hi, forgive me if this is in the wrong place.

I had a question on what experience anyone might have on selecting and fitting vehicle security to their campers?

Cheers!
1983 1.9l poptop Westfalia

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Re: Security systems

Post by tforturton »

Not something that people really like to discuss online. No-one wants to post up details of how they've thief-proofed their vehicle - sort of defeats the object.
General consensus is that you have a good visible deterrent, plus a good invisible one. So put a krooklok on the steering wheel, or a pedal lock on the pedals, but also fit an alarm, preferably with a 'kill-switch' or something similar, where it can't be easily spotted or by-passed.
Some do fit trackers (and some have recovered vehicles that way) but you're into ongoing costs there (with monthly charges, or mobile phone bills), plus a method of keeping the thing charged and working. You pays your money, etc...
Good luck.
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

JeffRoo
80-90 Mem No: 15579

Re: Security systems

Post by JeffRoo »

I agree with the above, but also adding a good wheel clamp. I have seen/ heard stories where the van has been wheeled away and then put on a truck. I have one and also turn the front wheels into the kerb. Or a locked secured alarmed garage might help[THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
84 Caravelle 1.9DG