Camper electrics!

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Jimmy659
80-90 Mem No: 15048

Camper electrics!

Post by Jimmy659 »

Hi all,

I'm having an electrical nightmare, I kept finding loose and unconnected wires in my camper so decided to start from scratch along with a new interior. Plus my electrical knowledge is limited.

I've installed a new Consumer Unit which will feed 1) a ring main for 3 sockets (including one for a Waeco CR50 fridge) and 2) the 240v feed into a Zig CF8 Unit. I have the Zig CF8 Manual and am fairly happy with wiring the 12v side of the camper, its the battery side of things which is causing me a headache.

My questions are;

1) Do I need the Zig unit? or is there something better I could use.
2) The Waeco CR50 Fridge Mains adaptor has both a 3 pin plug and 12v wiring, in my mind thats the fridge sorted, am I right? or is something else required in the system to protect the batteries. I ask this as I found a poorly wired RM12 Fridge Relay behind my main battery.
3) Is it recommended to fit a Split Charge system? even though I have a Zig unit.
4) Does the consumer unit need earthing to the chassis? If so surely I should have an earthing strip from the van to ground.

Any help on any of the above questions would be great, many thanks in advance.
1989 VW T25 Autohomes Komet II

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Camper electrics!

Post by AngeloEvs »

1. There are later ZIG chargers but they cost and do they have significant advantages? If the one you have is working I would keep it, it has fuses, switches, connector block and a simple charge indicator system in a neat package.

2. I have a Waeco in my van. For 240v operation you need nothing other than a mains socket. For 12v operation I fitted a good quality Euro style socket and wired this to one of the three fuses on the ZIG front panel. If your Waeco came with a UK style cigar lighter plug then this will need to be changed. Alternatively, find a good cigar lighter socket to match but many cause problems regards reliable connectivity.

3. You do not have to fit a split charge system. You can just rely on the Zig to charge the leisure battery when on hook up. Alternatively, if you want to charge the battery from the alternator then you could use the switch marked Touring - On Site on the ZIG front panel. You can use this switch to energise a relay that links the starter battery to the leisure battery via a separate 30A fuse. You only have to remember to set the switch to 'touring'.

4. I connected my consumer RCD to the vehicle chassis. It is easy to do! A campsite hook up point should be earthed but in the event it was not and an earth fault developed then the RCD would be compromised and someone outside of the van could theoretically come into contact with the chassis. E
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

Jimmy659
80-90 Mem No: 15048

Post by Jimmy659 »

AngeloEvs,

Many thanks for the reply, very useful info and will help me plan my next move plus stop me wasting time scratching my head in confusion!!

Jimmy
1989 VW T25 Autohomes Komet II

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

There are many advantages to be gained by locating the Zig unit as close to the leisure battery as possible. My Autohomes originally had it at eye level on the rear side locker which used a lot of cables, long lengths and an awkward route behind the middle pillar. It is now located close to the battery in the kitchen unit behind the drivers seat. Far better IMO.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior