Split Charge Relay Feed from starter terminal?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bmouthboyo
80-90 Mem No: 9396

Split Charge Relay Feed from starter terminal?

Post by bmouthboyo »

If I was to install leisure batteries in the engine bay could I use the starter post for the feed into a voltage sensing split charger relay?

Saves rooting new cable up to starter.
1983 Autosleeper Trooper - 1.8 Gti Conversion

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Re: Split Charge Relay Feed from starter terminal?

Post by marlinowner »

Yes or alternator output.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

bmouthboyo
80-90 Mem No: 9396

Post by bmouthboyo »

marlinowner wrote:Yes or alternator output.

Perfect. I was a bit unsure how much current would be drawn over the relay and wiring to the starter. Why are some relays 140 amp! What is the most that would go to the leisure battery from the alternator / main battery?
1983 Autosleeper Trooper - 1.8 Gti Conversion

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

If you connect a full starter battery to a flat leisure battery, a lot of current will flow between them. The current doesn't stay high for very long, because the voltage difference will reduce quite quickly as the two batteries start to equalise, but it would be long enough to damage the wiring or the relay if they're not rated appropriately. So if you've camped for a week and depleted your leisure battery, when you start the engine to drive home you need a split charge system that can cope with that initial surge of current. That's why you see 140A relays. And of course it would need to be cabled to suit.

If you use a smaller relay, just protect it with a smaller fuse, and accept that on the odd occasion when your leisure battery is really flat, you may blow that fuse.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Hi Chris...the 'switching voltage' for the smart relay is typically over 13 volts (13.00 - 13.5) something like that. When the engine is cranking the voltage at the Smart relay will be well below the 'switching voltage and the batteries will remain disconnected, so no worries at all that the relay or split charge wiring will be forced to supply any cranking amps.
Sure, once the engine has started, the alternator voltage of 14 volts plus will switch the relay and connect the two batteries, and whilst the initial draw can be higher (especially with a heavily discharge leisure) you're never likely to see much over 40 amps and then only for a few seconds. Your experience may vary if you are using several large Tojans but the above is what I've measured on my setup with an amp clamp.
The big heavy wiring is there for the starter, the charge and leisure circuits do not need anything like the same gauge. I would always recommend overating by 50% so 60amp wiring in most cases will be more than enough.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Auto Sleeper fit a 70A relay and 30A fuses to their leisure battery setup. You do want the fuse to blow if there's a problem, not to blow if there isn''t :)
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine