Cigar lighter type plug socket

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

meggles

Cigar lighter type plug socket

Post by meggles »

Any recommendations on which type of cigar lighter type of socket I should fit in my van. I have a cheapy one on the dash but I want to fit one in the rear of the van for charging the mobiles. One with a USB take off would be good too. I've looked at loads on ebay but can't decide which one would be best. Any advice welcomed.

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Re: Cigar lighter type plug socket

Post by DoubleOSeven »

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/dual-usb-c ... -8amp.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

A fair bit cheaper from here...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5V-4-2A-Dual- ... ujKl9cRBpQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

meggles

Post by meggles »

Should have said: I have several items which need the old type cigar lighter socket but some charger cables which need a usb take off. So I need to have a socket with both take offs. Brickwerks one is great but no big plug socket. And that price is way above what I want to pay. (Not saying Brickie are over pricing it!!!).

R0B

Post by R0B »

I use summat like this..http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-12v-3-Way ... Sw2gxYpYtf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

meggles

Post by meggles »

Looks good Rob. I'd want to hard wire to the leisure battery though. Do you reckon I could remove the plug and wire it via a fuse to the leisure battery?

R0B

Post by R0B »

I dont see why not Keith.Mine is held together with screws.That seems to be screwed at the front..

meggles

Post by meggles »

I'll probs give it a go. Thanks Rob. :ok

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

You best bet is actually these. USB sockets pack up eventually so if you stick with a regular 12v socket (which won't break) you can plug in any 12v usb adapter. For the record I have six such sockets in mine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-12 ... SwYIhWjqXI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They also cope with larger 12v loads. I keep a 12v tyre pump on board and now there is a socket close to each corner for easy access ;) £5.94 the lot. Just run a good sized cable and run them around like a ring mains - thats how I did it anyway.

Nice as the fancy ones look, once the USB socket dies, the thing is redundant then and if you've had to cut out a square panel to fit it, you'd have to find an identical one to replace it - if still available by then. These ones are almost indestructable, only need a small round hole and two screws to fit, and they handle a lot more than two amps if needed. Just plug in your own 12v/USB adapter as required. I used them extensively over the Summer and they work brilliantly plus you can mount them almost anywhere including interior panels at the back so you can plug in a tablet and watch a movie in bed.

I came up with the idea after watching my son stretch my USB charger leads cos the socket wasn't within reach. Not his fault so I just fitted loads. Three week wait but well worth it.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

meggles

Post by meggles »

Thanks for that CovKid. Food for thought. Have to say the description made me laugh: It says it's suitable for GPS and fitting to lawn mowers. My lawn just ain't that big!! :lol:

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Chinese translation at its best :) I really don't like inbuilt USB sockets though - even the ones you see on domestic mains sockets. They're simply not robust enough for the long term whereas adapters are cheap and easily replaced. Not tested these sockets with very heavy loads but certainly good enough for 8-10 amps so you're not going to overload them. Trust me, these will outlast all the fandango ones :D You can also plug in any of those cheap 3-way ones that come with USB sockets.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

a1winchester
80-90 Mem No: 7187

Post by a1winchester »

I carry a jump start power pack. It's more of an insurance against a flat battery, as I have never needed to use it since buying it.

However, it DOES have a 12v lighter socket which I find very useful for extra power for recharging or running usb devices (via adapter).

OK so I have to keep moving it around out of the way, but I am happier knowing I have back up if the starter battery packed up.
1990 Autosleeper Trident. Water cooled 1.9L DG + 4 speed manual box