AGM Deep Cycle Battery Recoverable?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bmouthboyo
80-90 Mem No: 9396

Post by bmouthboyo »

5 years ago I bought this 150 ah Deep Cycle AGM battery from ebay from a guy selling mobility scooter batteries with the intention of using it as a leisure battery.

I ended up moving abroad and unfortunatly it has been flat this whole time. I hooked up my CTEK XMS 5.0 but it never managed to complete the stages even after 7 days. I checked the voltage and it is only about 11.5v.

Is there any way I can crack those little tabs open and add something to bring it back to life, or is it a gonna?

Cheers
:ok
1983 Autosleeper Trooper - 1.8 Gti Conversion

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Re: AGM Deep Cycle Battery Recoverable?

Post by Mr Bean »

This:
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/do ... ies-EN.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Will take you to the data sheet on these batteries. There you will find some stuff about storage and recovery which might be helpfull.

CS
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Post by scottbott »

my father in law had a 'very' old ex wheelchair battery on his ride on mower and it just started every time year after year, whether he was lucky with it I do not know but we used to get people who went through batteries at an alarming rate on their wheelchairs, we would go out and check them and they would say'oh yes it is charged correctly' and it got to the stage that the wheelchair clinic we worked for charged people for replacements, once they payed for a set their batteries 'suddenly' lasted longer, make sure the charger can do gel batteries as some will not
Nil carborundum illegitimi

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I wouldn't hold your breath on that battery. Its been too long flat.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

Not sure what to read into the data sheet as I am a bit new to batteries etc.

I checked the voltage today and it is 12.58 after that week of charging. Is it worth persisting? What voltage should it ideally hold?

Middle29
80-90 Mem No: 14427

Post by Middle29 »

How long did you leave it before testing the voltage after taking it off the charger?

It will stay high for a bit after you take the charger off & then it will settle. You may get the voltage up but the capacity may have gone so it may just discharge straight away.
1990 Atlantic Westy Pop-Top... 1.9TD

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

Middle29 wrote:How long did you leave it before testing the voltage after taking it off the charger?

It will stay high for a bit after you take the charger off & then it will settle. You may get the voltage up but the capacity may have gone so it may just discharge straight away.

I checked it over a week after the long charge and it read the 12.58.

Is there hope? Is that a usable charged voltage?

What's best way to test it's usable charge?

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Only way to know is to try it but I suspect although it may hold a voltage, the amps will not be what they were. Give it a go - you may be lucky. 8)
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

Slapped the Ctek MX5 on it again today on recovery and normal mode but I get an error stage 5 whatever that means.

What's best way to test it? I don't have a leisure setup yet so would have to be on bench.

What would be an easy thing to test a 150Ah battery. Light bulb?

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

headlight bulb or similar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgiII0OnAZg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;