Instrument panel lights fault

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Bison535
80-90 Mem No: 15671

Instrument panel lights fault

Post by Bison535 »

I have no Instrument Panel Lights and checked fuse (see pic, top right 10 amp fuse blown and missing), but when a 10 amp fuse was put in the Dimmer Switch became hot !!?? then the fuse blew again! Short somewhere ?

Picture of my Fuse/Relay panel attached.

Can anyone please guide me to the fault ?

I have tried a new Headlight/Dimmer switch but still the same problem exists?

1990 T 25 California built in Hanover.

mm289
80-90 Mem No: 9111

Re: Instrument panel lights fault

Post by mm289 »

Do you mean the lights in the instrument cluster (speedo etc?) These are fed via a long flat multi pin connector on the back of the cluster. On mine this was not making a good contact which meant the instrument cluster light circuit on the blue ribbon was not getting a +ve feed hence no lights. Pretty easy to diagnose with a circuit tester.

Re the fuse blown, that may be a different issue, or the same in that the circuit may have a chaffed wire going to earth or the dimmer switch may have a fault (rheostat?) which is casuing the fuse to blow.

Either was, start tracing wires, test for continuity (Ohm meter) or see if you have a live feed at different points on the circuits.

HTH

MM
'89 Autosleeper Trident
2.1 DJ
Member 9111

Bison535
80-90 Mem No: 15671

Re: Instrument panel lights fault

Post by Bison535 »

Thanks MM

Panel lights and blue strip all ok.

Its the 10 amp fuse blowing I cant get resolved !?

The pic shows my panel on my 1990 VW T25, its the top right hand fuse (missing) that blows!!??

Also, Im not sure which Relay does what ? Do you have a Diagram identifying this specific panel ? My Haynes shows a Panel but does not Identify the Relays ?

The Fuses under the Panel are numbered and Identified on the inside of the lower black plastic cover.
Attachments
IMG_2175_zpsyly9obc6.JPG
IMG_2175_zpsyly9obc6.JPG (63.31 KiB) Viewed 2411 times