Ignition coil failure

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Jimaroid
80-90 Mem No: 16051

Ignition coil failure

Post by Jimaroid »

Had to have ourselves and the van trucked home by the RAC after we lost ignition on the M6 yesterday. I've pulled the coil out and I'm seeing a reading of 3.3 ohms and 5.3K ohms on the primary and secondary respectively which is clearly out of spec.

I know the coil will need replacing but what's the best advise in terms of any knock-on problems? Anything I should investigate specifically or just get the new coil and see what happens next?

Reason I ask is that it failed pretty hot and I'm a little paranoid that the black wire on the + terminal is showing some evidence of melting.
1983 1.9L DG

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Re: Ignition coil failure

Post by bigbadbob76 »

Ignition coil failure can cause, or be caused by, ignition module failure.
Either way the coil will get hot.
I'd replace the coil and see if it cures the problem.
If it doesn't start straight away though, don't keep trying or you might damage the new coil.
Good luck with it.
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.

Jimaroid
80-90 Mem No: 16051

Re: Ignition coil failure

Post by Jimaroid »

So Brickwerks aren't stocking the "made in mexico" Bosch coils because they're not meeting spec so I chanced my arm with a Bosch coil from VW Heritage anyway and lo and behold it doesn't meet spec. So that's getting sent back and I'm going to have to track down a coil elsewhere. Random supplier on Amazon claims to have a genuine Bosch 0 221 122 023 part so I'll wait for that to turn up now...
1983 1.9L DG