Electrolux Fridge - Warm Beer

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

randamonia
80-90 Mem No: 14035

Electrolux Fridge - Warm Beer

Post by randamonia »

Hi All

Electrolux 3 way fridge not getting cold on gas, mains or 12v. Is it terminal?

At the start of a trip and beer is getting warmer!

Thanks
1987 Autohomes Komet 1.9 DG

Nerdlinger
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Electrolux Fridge - Warm Beer

Post by Nerdlinger »

My 3-way Electrolux works much better on mains but even then will struggle to chill anything quickly in warm weather. If it's on gas it keeps things several degrees cooler than outside but again it's best to put pre-chilled things in it. I have found freezer blocks are useful at the start of a summer trip and some campsites have freezers for re-freezing them.

If the element inside isn't getting cold even on mains for hours with the door closed then it might be faulty. I had a similar problem with mine years ago which got going eventually, I did turn it on it's side, then updside-down, then on it's other side, basically slowly rotated it to get the refrigerant fluid moving but I don't know if that was what actually fixed it.

I read somewhere that the dial inside the fridge has to be switched to 0 when on gas.

I think cold beer is overrated.
1985 1.9 DG poptop Westalia Joker

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

you can try getting it out then turn it over for a night. Usually helps with non working absorber fridges.
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

randamonia wrote:Hi All
Electrolux 3 way fridge not getting cold on gas, mains or 12v. Is it terminal?
At the start of a trip and beer is getting warmer!
Thanks
When did you last switch the fridge on before this trip? If you haven't run it a couple of times since last summer (which keeps it functioning) some of the cooling fluid may well have crystallised and blocked the system. To get it going again (following the Electrolux manual) is to remove the fridge, turn it upside down, shake it around to get the fluid going again. That's what Pete the fridge man did to mine and it has worked perfectly ever since. Oldiebut goodie is the expert on this topic.

Porkscratching
80-90 Mem No: 17422

Post by Porkscratching »

The last time my beer was undrinkable it was because the fan had packed in. Replaced it with a computer fan. Back to toasting the world with a cold un' !
1990 Westy HiTop 1.6 JX
Time is precious, waste it wisely folks.

randamonia

Post by randamonia »

Haven't used it since Easter. It's usually a very good fridge but the element is only is only slightly colder than normal metal. Guess I'll need to try the rotating trick when I get back. Don't fancy pulling the van apart on site.
Thanks everyone!

Tinium
80-90 Mem No: 12269

Post by Tinium »

It's also worth making sure your van's nice and level - my 3-way's often picky about that, and won't chill in any mode if the van's not on the level.

Driving on 12v should chill normally, as the coolant sloshes around enough for it to work, so it might be worth seeing if the cooling element in the freezer is cold after a 1/2 hour drive with it on 12v, then it may be just the level. (It probably won't get cold enough to chill the entire fridge on 12v, but should give you a clue as to whether the coolant has crystalized).
1987 Syncro EJ25 Leisuredrive Tin-Top Campervan

randamonia

Post by randamonia »

Hmmm...maybe it's the level. On a bit of a slope back to front but levelled up left to right. Will test out next time I'm parked up in a car park. No option to get fully level where I'm camped unfortunately.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.