Dash Power Upgrade - Getting Switched Live?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bmouthboyo
80-90 Mem No: 9396

Dash Power Upgrade - Getting Switched Live?

Post by bmouthboyo »

Planning on running a seperate 110 amp cable to a junction under the dash as covkid guide.

Can anyone advise how I then get switched live from it for say stereo? Do I need. Relay and then fuse board?
1983 Autosleeper Trooper - 1.8 Gti Conversion

bmouthboyo

Re: Dash Power Upgrade - Getting Switched Live?

Post by bmouthboyo »

Or do people run stereo from main board?

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

We all run the stereo from leisure battery or do you not have one?

In any case stereo should be unaffected by new cable. The way mine is set up, all the heavy duty power hungry stuff (lights, blower, fan) is moved to new 6-way fusebox on the end of new powerline and low-powered stuff (like stereo) can remain in old fusebox.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

CovKid wrote:We all run the stereo from leisure battery or do you not have one?

In any case stereo should be unaffected by new cable. The way mine is set up, all the heavy duty power hungry stuff (lights, blower, fan) is moved to new 6-way fusebox on the end of new powerline and low-powered stuff (like stereo) can remain in old fusebox.

I will be installing a leisure setup soon. I am currently doing the dash upgrade but unsure what runs straight from the battery, I assumed blowers, lights etc are switched live?

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

There are a few ways you can do it. You could for instance leave any 'switched' items in original fusebox but use those to just power relays which in turn take their main supply from new fusebox - thats if you want to isolate a particular circuit with ignition off. Fan is always live (hence why it runs on a hot day after you stop) so you can just connect that to new fusebox.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.