Speed Needle Bouncing and No Mileage Cog Advice

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bmouthboyo
80-90 Mem No: 9396

Speed Needle Bouncing and No Mileage Cog Advice

Post by bmouthboyo »

My odometer has not worked in a while and today I decided to remove it to check out the cog. As I 'removed' the odometer the cog literally fell out.

Whoever installed this clock in the vans past GTI conversion (1992!) they really made a pigs ear of the instrument surround. The rear plastic to my odometer is shattered and looks like was held together with tape and glue.

The surround itself is also badly damaged and so I am trying to now source both the overall instrument surround and if possible the rear plastic of the odometer casing.

Question 1
Can I use any odometer rear casing, even the metal ones?

So I am hoping to repair / replace the cog. I noticed the spindle it sits on is smooth, shouldnt it me splined?

On a side note the needle on my speedo bounces up and down by upto 5mph. Is this something at the clock end? Cable or near the hub?

Thanks for any advice, and if anyone has a instrument surround and/or odometer back plate please send me a PM :)
1983 Autosleeper Trooper - 1.8 Gti Conversion

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Speed Needle Bouncing and No Mileage Cog Advice

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

No splines. My idea was to make a small flat on the spindle and use a piece of shimming brass (or old feeler gauge) to act as a key between the cog and shaft. I think that most people use superglue but I don't know if that would just be a temporary fix.
That plastic has had 30 years of heat from the sun etc and is extremely brittle, I don't think that the conversion is necessarily at fault. I have had to glue all sorts of cracked pieces on mine, they virtually crumble in the fingers.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

bmouthboyo
80-90 Mem No: 9396

Re: Speed Needle Bouncing and No Mileage Cog Advice

Post by bmouthboyo »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:No splines. My idea was to make a small flat on the spindle and use a piece of shimming brass (or old feeler gauge) to act as a key between the cog and shaft. I think that most people use superglue but I don't know if that would just be a temporary fix.
That plastic has had 30 years of heat from the sun etc and is extremely brittle, I don't think that the conversion is necessarily at fault. I have had to glue all sorts of cracked pieces on mine, they virtually crumble in the fingers.

I read somewhere about cog's being on ebay, however not sure if this is compatible:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cog-for-VW-Go ... SwxcRW-2Mh
Any ideas?
1983 Autosleeper Trooper - 1.8 Gti Conversion