Lambda (O2) sensor don't solder or seal wires

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Lambda (O2) sensor don't solder or seal wires

Post by itchyfeet »

According to this Bosch video air nedds to pass through the wires, who would have though, this means no soldering of wires
I have never soldered ( I don't think soldering is good in vehicles) but I probably put petroleum jelly in the connectors to keep moisture out and I have used waterproof plug and sockets, I checked and the type I used does breath between but not all do.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ex1Hki6-NHw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by itchyfeet on 31 Jul 2017, 10:33, edited 1 time in total.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Re: Lambda (O2) sensor don't solder wires

Post by Titus A Duxass »

That smells like BS to me.
Air cannot flow through a copper wire.

I've had mine soldered for years without an issue.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

they mean in between the strands
air and water even definately can pass though a wire in the gaps between the strands

I can only see it blocking this if the solder wicks up inside the insulation blocking the path.

Not like Bosch to put a BS video out
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Yes but it still sounds like BS.
The sensing part of the probe sits in the exhaust.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Well it seems you are wrong

http://www.autotap.com/techlibrary/unde ... ensors.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Older style oxygen sensors actually have a small hole in the body shell so air can enter the sensor, but newer style O2 sensors "breathe" through their wire connectors and have no vent hole. It's hard to believe, but the tiny amount of space between the insulation and wire provides enough room for air to seep into the sensor (for this reason, grease should never be used on O2 sensor connectors because it can block the flow of air). Venting the sensor through the wires rather than with a hole in the body reduces the risk of dirt or water contamination that could foul the sensor from the inside and cause it to fail. The difference in oxygen levels between the exhaust and outside air within the sensor causes voltage to flow through the ceramic bulb. The greater the difference, the higher the voltage reading.

1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

itchyfeet wrote:Well it seems you are wrong

http://www.autotap.com/techlibrary/unde ... ensors.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Older style oxygen sensors actually have a small hole in the body shell so air can enter the sensor, but newer style O2 sensors "breathe" through their wire connectors and have no vent hole. It's hard to believe, but the tiny amount of space between the insulation and wire provides enough room for air to seep into the sensor (for this reason, grease should never be used on O2 sensor connectors because it can block the flow of air). Venting the sensor through the wires rather than with a hole in the body reduces the risk of dirt or water contamination that could foul the sensor from the inside and cause it to fail. The difference in oxygen levels between the exhaust and outside air within the sensor causes voltage to flow through the ceramic bulb. The greater the difference, the higher the voltage reading.

Everyday is a school day.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

petethefeet
80-90 Mem No: 12639

Post by petethefeet »

No had any experience of Lambda sensors but some pressure transducers have a very small pipe that runs up the power/signal cable to vent the back of the pressure sensing diaphragm in the same manner.
1982 2 litre CU Auto Devon Moonraker called Brian

Domino
80-90 Mem No: 14834

Post by Domino »

have cut and joined I don't know how many sensors on Subarus without any adverse affects :D

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Domino wrote:have cut and joined I don't know how many sensors on Subarus without any adverse affects :D

Bury your head in the sand if you like.

It says volage is defined by difference so as the voltage switches between high and low, I guess it's possible it would run slightly leaner or richer and you would not notice.....or care
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Domino
80-90 Mem No: 14834

Post by Domino »

itchyfeet wrote:
Domino wrote:have cut and joined I don't know how many sensors on Subarus without any adverse affects :D

Bury your head in the sand if you like.

It says volage is defined by difference so as the voltage switches between high and low, I guess it's possible it would run slightly leaner or richer and you would not notice.....or care

or care lol :ok

most, if not all of my Subarus have been mapped over the years so it would of shown if there was a problem but nothing has came from it so far and I run a A/F gauge in my cars aswell so its not like I just hope for the best ,, I spend a fortune on mapping the cars as my engines are around 10k each time I build one lol , even brought a £1000 ecu for the van to make sure its running as good as it can,,, so I prob care more than most :D :D

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Re: Lambda (O2) sensor don't solder or seal wires

Post by marlinowner »

Most likely its to allow for air pressure changes on Alpine passes etc, so unlikely to have much effect in the UK. A soldered joint with heatshrink would probably leak enough air anyway.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine