Temp Gauge reading cool

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

crazyhorse
80-90 Mem No: 15202

Temp Gauge reading cool

Post by crazyhorse »

I know this has been asked many many times, but hey just for clarification.

I recently changed the gauge as the red light wasnt flashing for the self test. I thought its still moving so what the hell, It would sit just under the red light, then on a 200 mile trip it would creep just above then back down, All good, but didnt like the fact that it wasnt flashing. I bought a second hand one, plugged it in, flashing on startup then it would go out. Happy days. Now the problem is it doesnt even creep to quarter and usually sits just above the white box. When i put the air to cool creeps up to quarter maybe, then warm air back to just above white box. Going down a hill it goes into the white box.

Going on a road trip on Monday so will give it a good run out then, in the meantime is it something I should worry about or take it these gauges are different from one to the next.
87 Transporter 1.9 WBX DG and LPG. In Maroon

http://www.guestwho.biz

Smosh
80-90 Mem No: 12801

Re: Temp Gauge reading cool

Post by Smosh »

I have this issue after changing from and early coolant system engine to a late style. My gauge worked fine before so I am assuming it isnt directly that. I am wandering if different gauges need different sensors, i.e. they change what Ohms read out as what?
1984 Voltswagen 25 Pop-Top (No idea what type!?) 1.9 W/C Petrol based in Guernsey, C.I.

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

To the OP
It doesn't matter really where it reads , VW say "normal" is anywhere between the two white markings , and frankly , wherever it's made it's new "normal" don't worry, only worry if it suddenly changes from that place !
Mine sits almost exactly as you describe , it always has done since I've owned the van . It will creep up in traffic , the fan cuts in about two needles widths over the red light

You could change the sender , it may or may not change it .

I'm sure the resistance of the wiring has as. I have to do with the reading as the actual sender , cleaning connections may change things

Smosh, early to late means you have gone from a engine earthed sender ( single wire ) to a double insulated sender , the resistances will be different between the early and late senders for this reason alone
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

crazyhorse
80-90 Mem No: 15202

Post by crazyhorse »

Mocki wrote:To the OP
It doesn't matter really where it reads , VW say "normal" is anywhere between the two white markings , and frankly , wherever it's made it's new "normal" don't worry, only worry if it suddenly changes from that place !
Mine sits almost exactly as you describe , it always has done since I've owned the van . It will creep up in traffic , the fan cuts in about two needles widths over the red light

You could change the sender , it may or may not change it .

I'm sure the resistance of the wiring has as. I have to do with the reading as the actual sender , cleaning connections may change things

Smosh, early to late means you have gone from a engine earthed sender ( single wire ) to a double insulated sender , the resistances will be different between the early and late senders for this reason alone

Thanks for that Steve. Will leave as is for the time being
87 Transporter 1.9 WBX DG and LPG. In Maroon

http://www.guestwho.biz

nesty
80-90 Mem No: 4023

Post by nesty »

It might be the fact you have a great working cooling system.
Mine used to be always middle or slightly above. Had a major service, including coolant flush and change. The temp gauge now reads much cooler!
Holdsworth Villa2 1983 1.9 DG, 4 Speed, LPG & Petrol+underslung leisure tank

Smosh
80-90 Mem No: 12801

Post by Smosh »

Mocki wrote:

Yea, that's what thought, so the gauge will read wrong. Is there an easy way to correct this? Changing the gauges sound expensive/ messy!
1984 Voltswagen 25 Pop-Top (No idea what type!?) 1.9 W/C Petrol based in Guernsey, C.I.

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

Gauge reports resistance through sender. High resistance means low reading low resistance means high reading. No resistance means overheating.
So resistance at corroded connectors could cause low temp readings.
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th