RM 212 works sporadically

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

RM 212 works sporadically

Post by Sir Brixalot »

It lights fine and stays lit on position 1. When I turn the knob to 2 the pilot light goes out. Any ideas appreciated
Last edited by Sir Brixalot on 23 Jul 2017, 20:35, edited 2 times in total.
Honorary "Dave" 

captain Byrne
80-90 Mem No: 7107

Re: RM 212 pilot lights but goes out

Post by captain Byrne »

A real strange one sir brix. If the thermocouple has done its job & the valve is held open then the act of turing the knob to a higher position is just the matter of the barrel in the gas tap allowing more gas through to the burner. The only thing I can think is that when its on the pilot position the tap is sticking & isn't fully released, giving the impression that the thermocouple has worked. Then, when you turn the tap it releases itself and assuming the thermocouple has failed, it then it turns off? It could also be that the extra gas pressure you get from tuning the tap up is too much for the flame to remain seated & therefore goes out?
1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.

Sir Brixalot

Re: RM 212 pilot lights but goes out

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Thanks for the reply. The flame been on all night. The pilot doesn't go out now but I understand the flame should get bigger as the setting is increased. Mine doesn't and the fridge hasn't cooled in 9 hours.
Honorary "Dave" 

captain Byrne

Re: RM 212 pilot light doesn't increase-is this right?

Post by captain Byrne »

Ok, if the pilot has struggled in the past to stay lit & despite the fact it has now remained lit but not cooling the fridge then I would say the injector is partially blocked.

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Thanks Capn. Should the flame get bigger as the setting is increased from 1 to 3?
Honorary "Dave" 

captain Byrne

Post by captain Byrne »

I don't have the same fridge but as far as I know the flame should increase in size as the temp dial is turned up. It should be a clean blue flame, not yellow! These instructions might be of help to you.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dligl5wpge0l ... Ey11a?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

I bought a broken fridge yesterday for the door as my bottle tray was smashed. That's proved handy I took the existing burner off my fridge which was a right mess. The mesh over the burner had been butchered so I swapped the burner over, checked the jet, all clear. Checked the pipe from control, all clear. Still quite a small blue flame which doesn't change much in size when increasing the setting but I'll see if it works. Thanks for the manual as well
Honorary "Dave" 

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Working sporadically/ Starts to cool then warms up then cools etc. It's done this before but in the south of france so I'd put it down to ambient high temperatures. I wonder if its just too old
Honorary "Dave" 

captain Byrne

Re: RM 212 works sporadically

Post by captain Byrne »

Have you tried it on 12V & 240V?

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Not yet, it's tricky to hook up. Turned it upside down a few times yesterday and could here the coolant dropping down but no change. Just nipped down to supermarket, when I came out twenty minutes later the freezer compartment tray was cold. It looks like the fridge needs completely level ground which isn't very practical. There's only a very slight camber outside my house but seems to be enough to stop the fridge working.

Parked the other way and freezer has stayed cold. Not really any use in the real world to have a fridge that sensitive to a gradient. Are they all the same?
Honorary "Dave" 

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

It is important to remember that a flame only ever burns vertically in a drought free environment, so the fridge must be within a couple of degrees of level for the flame to "hit the mark" , this however will not have much effect on electric only gas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Good point. Been running for nearly 4 hrs and still 8.8c inside. I'll leave it a day then compare with hook up tomorrow.
Seen it suggested online that taking it out and rotating on all sides it over the course of a week mixes the coolant and can get the fridge working better.
Honorary "Dave" 

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Mocki wrote:It is important to remember that a flame only ever burns vertically in a drought free environment,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good chance we are in a drought free environment at present, it keeps persisting down with rain here. :run

Check that your baffle is at the correct height in the flue or that it is there at all. Without it you tend to need to more exact with the horizontal and it will not heat up correctly. You can have it on quite a slope when it is set up correctly. Rule of thumb for me is if it is too uncomfortable to sleep the fridge will lose efficiency otherwise it is fine. The desire for being absolutely level went out when the rectangular flue boxes went out of production but the myth has perpetuated from those days.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Sir Brixalot

Post by Sir Brixalot »

There is a twirly thing hanging in the flue which I take is the baffle not sure about the height being correct. I think the PO must have cut the mesh off the burner in an attempt to increase the flame. It does change minisculey when changing the setting now. The fridge is gathering pace on the cooling front, now 5.8c but it is so sensitive to a slope that with the fridge slightly leaning forward, the slight camber on my road stops it working.
Last edited by Sir Brixalot on 24 Jul 2017, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
Honorary "Dave" 

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

That is more an indication of crystals blocking the tubes to me rather than the flame being in error. This is where the turning upside down for 24hrs then leaving right way up for 24 more before retrying can have beneficial effect. This can dislodge them and allow them to more readily absorbed back into the mixture. A slight camber shouldn't stop it working.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶