Rev counter- Anyone used smoked faced Rev counters; any good

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

nesty
80-90 Mem No: 4023

Rev counter- Anyone used smoked faced Rev counters; any good

Post by nesty »

There was a TIM rev counter, which came with my van but it never worked. After 10 years I thought I'd get a working rev counter. Though I am not having much luck with Rev counters at the moment!

First, of all went cheap ebay. Bought from china. (Yes I know). It was a rubbish product. The rev reading way out & only read when it wanted to. Got refunded. Binned that!

Bought another. This time a bit more £35 from UK seller ebay seller. Reading is spot on, but can't get any illumination, which is no good at night, as black faced. I've tested the wire spliced from the dashboard lights. The reading on the multi meter all ok. Sent that one back, got refunded.

I am wondering what these smoked ones are like. I assume there is just 3 cables. Power 12V ignition, Earth & signal (coil) feed. Less wires would be better. What is the visual quality like in daytime?

I don't want to pay much more then £50 for a rev counter dial if possible. Any recomendations?
Holdsworth Villa2 1983 1.9 DG, 4 Speed, LPG & Petrol+underslung leisure tank

crazyhorse
80-90 Mem No: 15202

Re: Rev counter- Anyone used smoked faced Rev counters; any good

Post by crazyhorse »

I bought this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-75-Tacho-Ga ... 2749.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quite happy with it. Put a 470 resistor on it to match the brightness of the dash lights. I can fit it anyone can.

One thing you cant really see red needle at night, but it does have a warning light if your reving the nuts off it (which I never do... apart from going up a hill maybe) a big scary red warning light comes on
87 Transporter 1.9 WBX DG and LPG. In Maroon

http://www.guestwho.biz

nesty

Post by nesty »

Thanks for the reply. I should of said looking for 52mm.
Though if smoked ones are ok. I might opt for one of them. Though the brightest of the night illumination does concern me on the smoked.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Smoked are rubbish imo, during the day is your problem when you have bright sunshine it reflects off the glass and you can't see inside.

also some smoked ones colour change aghhhhhhh
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

nesty

Post by nesty »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/52mm-Clear-Le ... Swi7RZFCi0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This was the 2nd one I bought. The install easy and reading was spot on. Easy readable. Though, just couldn't get the illumination to work. On my multi meter I was getting a reading of 0.16V from the wire with the dashlboard lights on. Does that sound correct? Just wondered if it wasn't getting enough power to power up the other counter illumination?

Anyways, I am not sure if I had a faulty one? Was thinking of purchasing same from another ebay seller then would certainly know then either way if previous was faulty or my dashboard light wire!

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

same as the one I have and probably same seller, I never wired up the light as I rarely drive at night.
to check the light add 12V to the illumination wire
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

nesty

Post by nesty »

itchyfeet wrote:same as the one I have and probably same seller, I never wired up the light as I rarely drive at night.
to check the light add 12V to the illumination wire

ok. The 2nd one hadn't gone back yet as I thought. My daughter forgot to post it when I gave it to her a few days ago. I've unpacked it again and done the test you said.

Interesting. I applied 12V to the lamp terminal (basically bridged the 12V, to the lamp terminal). The illumination came on. However, it just seemed like the top bit of the light came on of the dial. The light wasn't spread all the way around the dial, as illustrated in certain photos!

Ant-t
80-90 Mem No: 14390

Post by Ant-t »

I'm looking at fitting one of these (your 2nd choice) would be interested to see if you get the illumination working ok :ok
1983 DG Kamper 2

nesty

Post by nesty »

Ant-t wrote:I'm looking at fitting one of these (your 2nd choice) would be interested to see if you get the illumination working ok :ok

I'll update you around Thurs/ Fri. I will have a better picture then of how this gauge is!

I have done another order of the same dial. This time direct from the actual manufacturer in Oxfordshire. They firmly state, every gauge is QC tested in everyway, before being sent out & guarentee this!

It should arrive around Wed/Thurs. I'll install & test.

It should give me a clear indication. Either the same gauge, I purchased from the ebay seller is faulty. Or the gauge does not like my illumination wire, spliced from my dashboard lighting.

I'll let you know!

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

If it all goes well it'd be good to know where you got t from. Mines never worked and had a big crack in the glass. Meant to do it straightaway but its been 5 years so far :oops:
Honorary "Dave" 

nesty

Post by nesty »

Sir Brixalot wrote:If it all goes well it'd be good to know where you got t from. Mines never worked and had a big crack in the glass. Meant to do it straightaway but its been 5 years so far :oops:

Once I have received it and tested it. I'll update you!

nesty

Post by nesty »

Ok, here is my update.

My Rev counter from the company in Oxfordshire arrived today. I installed it, but have the same issue with it, as the same one from ebay!

It works, the reading is good, but I still can’t get the illumination to work via my lights, unless I bridge the gauge illumination terminal to the 12V terminal. Again the spread of illumination is same. So the ebay one wasn’t faulty after all.

The illumination lights wire was put in by previous owner, via the 12 pin connector at dasboard rear. I don’t want to start messing around with the connector as access is tight.

I’ll put up with no gauge illumination. I don’t drive my van at night too often.
If illumination is a problem later on.
I’ll piggy back the illumination terminal to 12v ignition terminal & then splice a wire inbetween to an on/off switch on dashboard. So can use illumination at a flick of switch if need be (when ignition on).

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Thanks for the update. It'll look better than what I've got. What does it wire in to?
Honorary "Dave" 

nesty

Post by nesty »

I am at a loss why I can't get any illumination? I am not going to spend too much time investigating!

This is the last one I bought from the manufactor direct. They do an ebay store as well

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/52mm-Black-Fa ... pwtl-8JViw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For £30 it's not a bad buy, when you see how much Demon Tweeks charge!

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

I fitted an inline resistor to dim the brightness a little too

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3NaO ... ElnUFNUb1E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic